+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olympic National Park -late July 2015. ??

Hybrid View

Default Olympic National Park -late July 2015. ??

Hi folks,
    I know it's early but I'm planning a fishing trip back to YNP next summer and wanted to also spend a week exploring fishing spots in Olympic National Park. I'm wondering with the closing of some rivers due to dam removal whether it's a good time to go or should I wait another year or two to give Olympic a shot. Im retiring at the end of this school year so will have time in the years to come if now isnt the best time. After going out to Ynp annually for 15 yrs from 1990 to 2005, There's more than enough places I want to hit again in Yellowstone to keep me busy for two weeks. But, if Olympic looks good any general fishing recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

2. Default

The Elwha River is the only river closed because of dam removal and it will be closed to fishing for a number of years after completion of the demolition. If you are not aware, most of our western Washington rivers do not offer the kind of trout fishing you would expect to find in Yellowstone. Due to the relative infertility of most of our rivers, many of our fish have adopted anadromy as a life strategy. Steelhead, sea-run cutthroat and salmon provide the bulk of our fishing opportunities and their runs can be seasonally specific. I would recommend buying and reading a couple of books about fishing there. Among the best are the late Doug Rose's books; Fly Fishing the Olympic Peninsula, The Color of Winter; Steelhead Fly Fishing on the Olympic Peninsula, and Fly Fishing Guide To The Olympic Peninsula, all available from Frank Amato Publications. A comprehensive guide, Olympic Mountains Fishing Guide, by Dave Shorett is also published by Amato.

Fly fishing for salmon and steelhead is something of a specialized form of the sport and, if you're primary interest is in fishing for trout, I'd recommend concentrating on the sea-run cutthroat. This anadromous form of the coastal cutthroat subspecies offers excellent sport in the estuaries and lower reaches of the rivers emptying directly into the Pacific Ocean and are available almost year-round from the sheltered beaches along Hood Canal and the Strait of Juan de Fuca (cutthroat are catch-and-release in all marine areas). I hope this will set you in the right direction and please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Preston ,
    Thank you for your insights and recommendations. I'll pick up a few of the books you recommended and , if you don't mind, ask a few more questions after I have a better idea of the lay of the land. I don't mind hiking a few miles to find fish and avoid crowds.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Steve,

You might want to check out this site, as well:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php

Lots of great info and decent folks there.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about, since the wife and I are headed in that general direction in a month, is vandalism by "tweakers" -methheads. Apparently, it's fairly common at some of the fishing access - vehicles are broken into and also stripped of some of their parts (the catalytic converters on Toyota trucks seem to be high on their shopping lists and we have a Tundra ).

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,
    Thanks for the site information. Hope you have a safe and vandalism free trip.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Blog Entries

I havel lived in idahofalls lewiston id. and now Westport Wa you could spend a summer fising Jackson hole to spokane and not see and do it all. do yourself a favor spend next summer doing that then another year starting about september first start in san fransisco drive 101 through Oregon up the wa coast through the paninsula etc. the first is a great fishing trip the second you can get some charter fishing in and spend a loyt of time with your spouse
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread