+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod finish

Default Rod finish

Well, I finished my first rod, kind of. I put the first coat of finish (flex coat regular) on it thursday night. Unfortunately, I was not able to check the rod until saturday after the epoxy pretty much set. I know most recommend a second coat within 24 hours. Can you add a second coat after the 24 hour period? I like the finish with one coat, but there are a couple spots I'd like to even a bit... Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

I've seen this addressed in dozens of threads on various boards. You absolutely can add another coat with no problem.

If it is over 72 hours some recommend scuffing lightly with gray Scotchbrite .. but not one person that has posted on these threads has ever seen a 'de-lamination' due to adding a coat even up to a week later.

Go for it.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Thanks HideHunter - It's black thread on a black blank, so that should help. The first coat came out very nice for the most part. No issues with bubbles or dust. However, there were a couple of guides that I didn't get the first coat thick enough, so I'd like to go over those.

I'd post picks, but I saw your first build, and mine is nowhere near as cool looking.

[This message has been edited by ameyers41 (edited 03 April 2006).]

Blog Entries

lol.. Don't let that stop you, am.. I love to see pics of fish, flies or rods.

Don't tell anyone but I debated for several days before posting pics after seeing Adamhry's first build. There's some really talented folks on this site. But, I figured I'd only build one "first one".

Good luck..gm
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Well, both your and Adamhry's look great. I went as simple as possible for my first. No trim wraps, definitely no feather like yours. Adamhry was definitely braver than I am, building on what I noticed was a Sage blank, although, now that I'm hooked, my next one will be on a St. Croix SCV.

Thanks for the compliments, and just so you know in hindsight I'd never have built on that blank knowing what I know now(not too much really). Also, those pictures probably look better than the real deal, my finish isn't all that smooth but after reading that smoothness was aesthetic, I was happy with it. I also agree you should post pics, at the very worst you can gain helpful insight.

Thanks, Adam

Will do. It's kind of plain. I don't know if I'll even get the decal/label on it before I fish it, but that's the important thing, right? Once it's totally finished, I will post pics. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread