+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Biots

Hybrid View

Question Biots

Have the names of things changed or am I just remembering incorrectly? To me, Biots were the short barbules from the leading edge of a feather that are used for tailing. Now, I see the term being used to define the longer barbules that are used to wind full fly bodies. Did I miss something?

Blog Entries

Ray,
    Leading edge biots are on all wings.

The biots vary in size and by bird: goose biots v. Turkey biots, for example.

http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/all_about_biots.htm
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-22-2014 at 11:17 PM.

No Ray goose biots are used for bodies on flies mostly sized 16 and smaller. Turkey biots are longer and a lot more translucent, they will wrap bodies 10 and smaller. Turkey biots will also wrap a thinner body than goose but I like the segmentation goose gives. Depending on which side the boot is tied in will give different results, one side will be a smooth body the other will result in a ribbed rough appearing body.
    Gene

Thanks guys but I must be getting dense. In Byron's reference a statement is made that biots come from the "leading" edge of the feather yet down in the text where the use for body discussion is started the photo definitely shows the longer barb from a 'trailing" edge. To me "Leading " edge barbs are just not that long and skinny and can't possibly be used for bodies

Ray,

That depends on the size of the fly. Also, turkey 'biots' are quite long and I have no doubt they are long enough so you could tie a thin body size 10 with one. Personally, I don't particularly care for flies tied with the biots tied so that the segmented edging faces up. I guess a lot of people do though. I'm too dumb to know what the trout think and maybe they prefer one method over the other. However, not having a the segmented edging doesn't seem to have an ill effect on the Quill Gordon.

‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I will add one more thing. Each pack of biot is different. I used to wonder the same about pheasant tail fibers. How did folks wrap such large and full flies with them? They weren't that big? Until I finally found 'large" pheasant tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Have the names of things changed or am I just remembering incorrectly? To me, Biots were the short barbules from the leading edge of a feather ...
    That's about where you should stop. Nothing has changed insofar as where they come from. However, depending on the species of bird, the 'biot' is smaller or larger then goose, as was stated in previous posts. Also, aside from the length of the 'biot', the thickness/stiffness is also different, per species.

+ Reply to Thread