+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flies Tied With Mallard Flank, Suggestions.

Default Flies Tied With Mallard Flank, Suggestions.

Flies That Use Mallard Flank

I would appreciate some suggestions for patterns that incorporate mallard flank fibers. I know it can be used for legs and tails on a nymph, but I'd like find patterns that use more.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Traditional Gray Fox, Catskill style. Hornberg, I think.

Bruce,

If you're up for a bit of a challenge, try this Extended Body Mayfly:

http://vimeo.com/43469762

Regards,
    Scott

Use it instead of teal in Joe's Smelt.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Bruce,

If you're up for a bit of a challenge, try this Extended Body Mayfly
    http://vimeo.com/43469762

Regards,
    Scott
    Or try the Darbee Two Feather fly, aka: 'Hatchmatcher' (this one tied by Ted Patlin)

Blog Entries

Lastchance,
    Probably stating the obvious, but mallard flank feathers are most commonly used as a substitute for the rather expensive wood duck feathers. Not entirely used as wings, but that is probably the more common use....particularly divided upright wings.

You might do a search on " flies tied with wood duck" , or similar search, and just do a substitution with your mallard flank feathers.

I'm guessing that 'lastchance' wanted to know about using mallard flank in its natural state, not as a substitute, as in woodie flank. I mentioned a few before and there are a few steelhead spey flies that use mallard in the collar(see photo).

I tie some micro-caddis and midge patterns with mallard as the down-wing. I have also used it for spinner wings.

Blog Entries

Lastchance,
    Are you talking about trout flies?

AlanB Guest

There are all kinds of things that you can use mallard flank for, however, there is mallard flank, and mallard flank. The little ones that are often dyed brown and passed off as bronze mallard are next to useless.

Probably the most common use is as fan wings. You can use them in any pattern with fan wings. Bunched fibres make good parachute post. They can also be used for wonder wings. I would use them mostly for Wally wings. Spey hackles, as Allan says, is another use. To really work as spey hackles the feathers need to be "burned" in bleach, so they do not clump together. (Not a difficult process look up "burnt spey hackles" on You Tube).

You could tie them in and wind them for a body. Tie in the stem with a couple of loose turns, and draw the feather through so the tips are captive. Then wind it. Best to rib these bodies as the fibres are not very tough.

There are many uses, the only limit is on your creativity.

I know I haven't answered your question. That is deliberate. A list of patterns that use a material is not the way to go. Many of the patterns came about because people used and adapted what they had. Patterns are not set in stone. Certainly not for fishing. I learned my tying in the north of England with hundreds of years of tradition. I now live in the north of Scotland. Many of the patterns I learned years ago work here, however they work here better if dressed heavier than I would for use in England. Patterns should be changed and adapted to fit your circumstances.

Here is an example of the flies that I was using years ago (top row) and how I combined them into what has become one of my favourite patterns. As I discovered other flies and tying techniques (left and right) they influenced the fly in the centre until it became what it is today. It is not finished. It may become something else tomorrow.
    Stack.jpg

This is why I've given you techniques rather than patterns. I hope it helps though.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread