+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies That Use Mallard Flank

Hybrid View

Default Flies That Use Mallard Flank

I would appreciate some suggestions for patterns that incorporate mallard flank fibers. I know it can be used for legs and tails on a nymph, but I'd like find patterns that use more.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Here's one Bruce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvCpv4xt3xY

I'm tying some in size 8 & 10 for an upcoming trip to Idaho

Hi, Bruce. They are used for the wings on the traditional version of a Gray Fox. But why not post this question on the Tying Board? Might have more success.

Chuck

This question came up on another board. I didn't know that we can use mallard flank as hackles on soft hackled flies.
    Randy

The light Cahill and light Hendrickson call for wood duck flank fibers because of the distinct barring, but understand mallard flank or teal feathers can be substituted.

6. Default

A couple of popular mallard flank flies for sea-run cutthroat here in the Northwest are the Knudson Spider and Mike Kinney's Reverse Spider. Al Knudson developed his Yellow Spider for steelhead on the Umpqua River and brought it back with him when he returned to Everett, WA in the 1930s. It quickly became one of the most popular sea-run cutthroat flies on the Stillaguamish River and has evolved into a simplified style of fly usually referred to as "Knudson Spiders" and tied in a wide variety of body colors and widgeon, teal, gadwall, or even merganser, as well as mallard hackle. Mike developed his Reverse Spider in the early '70s and it has even surpassed the Knudson Spider in its popularity. Like the Knudson Spider, it is a style of fly rather than an individual pattern and is tied in many colors and may use not only waterfowl flank but also golden or Lady Amherst pheasant tippet. The most obvious difference is the "reversed" hackle, tied projecting out and over the eye of the hook, offering much greater degree of seductive movement. Developed for sea-run cutthroat in freshwater, both patterns have proven to be equally effective for cutthroat and salmon in saltwater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread