Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column and Report

Threaded View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column and Report

Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; August 25 to Sept 1, 2014

As promised last week; some wisdom gleaned from fifty seven years of sport fishing.

Find your own place in the sport and make it your own. There are as many different reasons for an interest in sport fishing, as there are anglers.

Don?t let yourself be influenced by the biases of other anglers. Such prejudices narrow the mind and impede ones ability to think outside the box. Particularly when thinking outside the box is often needed to out-wit uncooperative fish. All innovation in sport fishing has come from those who dared to step outside excepted conventions.

Do what works for you. I am a fly fisherman. I and my close colleges, all agree that no one method is better than another. All methods of sport fishing have their pluses and minuses; and success goes to the angler competent in what he or she does. Rods, reels, lines, etc; are tools, and as such should fit you and your goals, like a well tailored glove.

Question every fishing trip. I have often been accused of analyzing things to death, yet it is in my analysis of each and every detail, that I have found much of my most useful sport fishing knowledge.

Read, read, and read some more, from many different authors. No one angler, no matter how good he or she appears to be, has all the answers. There is none good but one, that is God. Except the fact that we are all students striving for mastery of our sport, and there is no short cutting study and practice.

We will continue this next week.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow. Try working the south west sections of your favorite during the evening through night fall for better success. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, Doc Spratley, or Halfback. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Ibis, Red Spratley, or Kokanee killer.

The bass and pan fish, fishing is slow to fair. For bass try: Big Black, Clouser?s Deep Minnow, Lefty?s Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Popin Bug, Foam Frog, Chernobyl Ant, Adult Damsel, or Stimulator. For Pan fish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Halfback, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Tied Down Minnow, Popin Bug, or Chernobyl Ant.

Our interior lakes are slow. Try: Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, 52 Buick, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp, for fishing wet. For dry fly action try: Lady McConnel, Big Ugly, Black Gnat, Tom Thumb, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is good for spring and Sockeye. For spring try: Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone. For sockeye try: Lime green or chartreuse patterns.

The Harrison River is fair for cutthroat, rainbow and sockeye. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Hairs Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Anderson Stone, Adult Damsel, Golden Stone, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Thomson River is good for sockeye, while slow for rainbow. For sockeye try: UV orange patterns. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Golden stone, Joe?s Hopper, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Rolled Muddler.
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 08-27-2014 at 01:33 AM.