+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Bamboo Rod

Coach,

There are others here, such as Dleo, who are much more qualified than I to make a suggestion to you. However, if it's a fine old rod like a Payne or Leonard, refinishing it with the same color thread wraps and hardware shouldn't diminish it's value that much. Those fine old rods are incredible tools for fishing as well.

If it's just an old rod that your Granddad picked up at the local hardware store (a lot of them were bought there), and you like the way it casts, then by all means refinish it and use it. Think how your Granddad would feel seeing you casting that rod of his, all shiney varnish and new looking, over some great water.

REE

Coach, I would be glad to try to assess the rod as far as origin and restoration advice. I would need some pictures of the rod and of specific components of the rod. If you could get pictures of the ferrules, the grip, the reel seat, the winding check, and of the tips (where the whole tip could be seen) it would help with the identification. Also, the caddy in which the parts are kept, is it covered with canvas, and are each of the pockets notched out to allow the guides to be placd facing inwards?

Leo

Restore it and then fish with it as often as humanly possible! One of the great things about 'boo rods is the fact that you can restore/repair them and make them back into a fine fishing instrument that will, more or less, last forever. If you do fish it, and like the way it casts, I'd also suggest taking it to a modern rodmaker, and have them take the measurements of the rod with a micrometer (or, you could do it yourself). That way if you do someday break a section beyond repair, you can have the rodmaker replicate it for you. It won't be exactly the same as the old one was, but it should be pretty close if the rodmaker knows what they're doing. Best of luck.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Default Advice for Bamboo Rod

My granddad passed away about twenty years ago at 87 years of age. I got his favorite deer mount and had it restored (not much worth to anyone but me). About two years ago I was at my parents home and found an old bamboo fly rod. Ask where it came from and was told "Pop" (my granddad). They said if you want it take it. I did!

Here is the question. It is a baboo rod with two tips and the case is a design that holds the sections on the outside. They lie in grooves. How do I find out if it is worth anything (I do not want to sell) and how to restore it? I build rods but only graphite and I noticed a few of the wraps are coming loose. Does refinishing such a rod take away from the value or add to it? The only rod that I have seen like this was in West Yellowstone when they had the fly fishing museum there.

Suggestions appreciated.

Coach,

I am not sure of value but I would recommend that it be restored.

Are there any names/marking on the rod/reel seat to indicate who made it?

Brian

If you can post some pictures on Clarks site , someone can probably help with the I. D. [url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum:307ce]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum[/url:307ce]

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Coach,
    Unfortunately, I do not know the history of any of the rods I have refinished but wished I did. I think you will find a lot of joy in having it refinished (or doing it yourself) and fishing it as you found in restoring your granfather's deer mount.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

My suggestion is this....If you want the rod looking as new....weather you plan to fish it or keep it as a keep sake....Pack it carefully....make arrangements with Dleo.....and he'll take great care and you'll see the pride he puts into his work...

Just some thoughts...whatever you decide,Enjoy the rodas your Grand Father did....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I thanks those of you who took the time to answer. My computer is located in the school that I work in so I am not there on weekends and that is why I am answering back so late.

I will try to take pictures and post them so that a better discription is available. To answer about the case, yes it is finished with a grayish cloth and the inserts are formed to the tip and guides.

I do not have my camera here today so I will get that out as soon as possible. I also plan on checking it out in more detail under a magnifying lamp for any markings or names inscribed.

I do plan on fishing with it if possible as I agree that my "Pop" would get a kick out of me using it after all these years.

I'm back, this time I am having trouble getting pictures off the digital and on to a site.

The only writing on the rod is located on the reel seat and it says POCONO ingraved in the aluminum real seat. This is the first I took it out of its case and it is in what I consider rough shape. The guides are all small with a red plastic looking insert in them. The only one not having that insert is the tip-top. As far as stripping guides go, they are a lot smaller than anything I ever put on a rod or used.

+ Reply to Thread