+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for a Beginner Reel

Default The Quest for a Beginner Reel

Well, If some of you have read my previous posts, I have little idea of what I am doing. doing a little comparison shopping I found two good, cheap deals. The first is a Plfueger Puris 1394 complete with some random line, 4x leader, and backing for $32. Next is a J.W. and Sons Reflex 1450 for $24, but with no line and such.

Which is the best, or should I keep looking for something better? I saw a Daiwa for $17 but the shopkeeper recommended the JW. Cheers!

Toad

I don't usually but but the best you can afford. If you really like fly fishing treat yourself.

My advice for what it's worth...
    Make your own leaders out of top quality
    material.
    Buy the best line.
    Maybe a medium priced rod? ..try b4 buy.
    A low end reel will do for now.

------------------
    Regards
    nam
    nam

"Buy a fly reel with your heart, not your head."

Amen to that JC. When it comes to buying reels it seems buying with your heart is really the only way to buy with your head. I wasted a lot of time and money on cheap reels (most of them I would consider worthless since they haven't exactly survived to the present day) when I started out in this sport. Each time I bought one I'd spend a little more money on a little less junky reel than the last one and ended up spending more than I would have if I had just bought a decent reel in the first place.

Okuma Sierra and Integrity are both good reels. I think you can get the Sierra for 40 bucks and the Integrity for around 60 bucks.

Here is a reel buying idea. You are new to the sport and could use advice and comradery. Visit your local shops if there is more than one and see which one has the nicest, most honest, sincere and most helpful staff. If you have only one shop, go there and see if they are helpful and friendly. Use this purchase to start your relationship with them. You will be buying advice and help that is worth far more than any reel. That reel sould not be an expensiave one, and it should be one that does tickle your fancy.

The reason most people are not placing alot of emphasis on reel quality is that for most fishing they are not critical. A minimal drag is sufficient for most fishing that you do with a 5/6 wt or lighter. When you go after bigger fish, then you want a reel with more capacity and drag. Then the quality becomes moreof an issue. So in most cases, the reel does little more than hold the line when not in use and serves to reel the fish in. Drag if needed can be provided by your hand.

Hope this helps.

jed

If you don't mind shopping at Cabela's, they have the Prestige Reels on sale for $30.00! They used to be $60 or somewhere around there. I have one and it's quality is comparable to the Okuma. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Okuma made this reel for Cabela's. It was my first and I haven't replaced it yet. I've had it for about 4 years now and haven't had any problems and haven't been disappointed.

------------------
    dw

'Don't know, what you don't know.'

my vote goes to the Okuma in the thrifty reel category.. cheap but good

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Another thumbs up for the Okumas'.I have an Integrity that I have used hard for five years with zero problems.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

I've had an Okuma Sierra. I wouldn't get another one, I've had mine seize up on me a few times on big fish when I really needed it and couple occasions. Most of the time it worked fine but the few occasions when it didn't were enough to have me looking for yet another reel.
    If I had to work with a really cheap reel, I'd probably take a Scientific Anglers Concept 2. On the other hand, the Okuma Integrity might be another story altogether.

[This message has been edited by Bill Blake (edited 19 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread