+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simple Divided Deer Hair Wings

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Simple Divided Deer Hair Wings

Found a nice patch of deer hair this morning, in the drawer, and thought of tying some of these?

Anyone else use these?

That's nice, Byron. I never thought of it to tell you the truth. Would you be so kind as to post a photo of the fly from the front? Real nice.

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Lighting is bad, but here goes.

H
    ow does the tee shirt read???

"A small drinking village with a fishing problem"?? Or, is it "A small fishing village with a drinking problem"??

Love Last Chance, Idaho!!!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-20-2014 at 11:35 PM.

AlanB Guest

I don't use those, but I do use these.

Not so simple to tie, but avoid the inherent problems of heavy wings. You'll find that fly will want to adopt one of two positions on the water. One wing resting on the surface or sitting forward on its hackle with its tail in the air. At least when I tried that kind of thing they did.

The one in my picture is tied as an emerger but you can tie them with a body and tail to represent duns. Deer hair for the larger sizes, snowshoe for middle sizes and CdC in the smaller ones. Here's a CdC one tied as a dun.

One thing that does improve that kind of fly is to tie in some floss as if you are going to use it as the thorax cover on a nymph. Add the deer hair as a single post, then wind the hackle. Pull the floss forward like a thorax cover splitting both hackle and wing. Tie down at the eye. Doing this clumps the hackle fibres on top, causing a parachute like effect when the fly is cast. It helps a lot with presentation.

Cheers,
    A.

Nice ties all!!!

After reading this thread and thinking, where does an emerger fly sit in the water column. Is it a wet fly or a dry fly? I am still new at the fly fishing game, so please bear with my newby questions.

Blog Entries

They travel up the column to the surface itself.
    Generally, they are thought of as in the surface film, often as a crippled insect stuck on, or in, the surface film.
    Short explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    I don't use those, but I do use these.

Not so simple to tie, but avoid the inherent problems of heavy wings. You'll find that fly will want to adopt one of two positions on the water. One wing resting on the surface or sitting forward on its hackle with its tail in the air. At least when I tried that kind of thing they did.

The one in my picture is tied as an emerger but you can tie them with a body and tail to represent duns. Deer hair for the larger sizes, snowshoe for middle sizes and CdC in the smaller ones. Here's a CdC one tied as a dun.

One thing that does improve that kind of fly is to tie in some floss as if you are going to use it as the thorax cover on a nymph. Add the deer hair as a single post, then wind the hackle. Pull the floss forward like a thorax cover splitting both hackle and wing. Tie down at the eye. Doing this clumps the hackle fibres on top, causing a parachute like effect when the fly is cast. It helps a lot with presentation.

Cheers,
    A.

There was an article by Tracy Peterson in the Spring 2006 Flyfishing & Tying Journal on these. Google Bat Wing Emerger.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

AlanB Guest

Hi Silver, I did as you say, and no that isn't the same technique. Lots of people try to copy Marc Petitjean's wings using that technique but it isn't how its done. Using that technique will result in a lower floating body.

The Petitjean technique is to trap the material in split thread and wind it over the thorax drawing it up and back in a doubling motion as you wind it. This results in the wings emerging from the side of the thorax rather than the top of it. The fly sits higher and is more stable on the water this way.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread