+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gary LaFontaine's Flies

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Gary LaFontaine's Flies

I wanted to comment on some of the posts about Gary LaFontaine, but they were on a thread that wasn't specifically about him, so I didn't want to offend the person who started that thread by hijacking.

Some of LaFontaine flies are a "little out there" it seems to me, but that was him - on the cutting edge. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times and found him to be really a great guy. He was truly full of enthusiasm for the sport. Not just a great tier and innovator, but a great fisherman. Who knows what he might have offered us had he lived beyond his relatively young age.

I think his work "Caddisflies" alone would have made him sort of a giant amongst authors and researchers amongst fly fishers. But, he went on to write so much more and explore so much more - even to the point of his underwater observations of trout and their reactions to fly patterns.

Anyway, it reminded me to look at the flies I have of his. I think I could take these out of the shadow box and catch some fish today.

Thanks Gary for all you left behind for us.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and I saw nothing disrespectful from that post. I have had success with some of his flies, and not much with others. That being said, I 100% agree with you on his studies with Caddisflies.

If someone loves all of his patterns, it's OK. If someone thinks his patterns are junk, it's OK too.

Blog Entries

I don't think I said anyone was disrespectful??

I just wanted to honor his efforts and research into the subjects of trout, fly fishing and fly tying to catch trout.

When you read his books, he provides rationale for his patterns. He explains why he dresses the flies as he does which I find refreshing.......whether I agree with his conclusions or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I don't think I said anyone was disrespectful??
    I think he misunderstood the "I didn't want to offend ..." part of you post.

I agree 100% with your assessment of GF -- a giant among authors and researchers. I also agree that some of his patterns are just a bit too far out there for my tastes.
    Bob

He was working on a book exclusively on Baetis when he got sick. I can only imagine or maybe I can't what would of been written in that book. Truly a great fly inventor and as Byron said he had a tremendous amount of energy about fly fishing and tying.
    Gene

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    I think he misunderstood the "I didn't want to offend ..." part of you post.

I agree 100% with your assessment of GF -- a giant among authors and researchers. I also agree that some of his patterns are just a bit too far out there for my tastes.
    Red,
    You may be right about Cheech's response. I thought I was pretty clear that I didn't want to "hijack" a thread NOT about LaFontaine and offend the author of that thread by going on about my thoughts concerning LaFontaine, but thought better to start a new thread.

I personally would not tie or fish some of his patterns, but have sure learned a lot about trout behavior and insects from his work. I also developed a new way of observing flies from some of his explanations of critical thinking about patterns and what they impart to the trout when on the water.

Here's a very brief example. The Sparkle Dun is probably my favorite dry fly of all patterns/styles.
    In this excerpt, Gary is talking instead about it's sister, the Compara Dun, but, in just a few words, he explains why the pattern may be so successful:

This is from "The Dry Fly - New angles":

Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-20-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Byron, I remember meeting Gary at Bennett Spring. He was the main guest/speaker at one of the early conclaves they had at Bennett. Must have been at least 20 years ago. He was an interesting guy.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread