Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; August 18 to 25, 2014

When the name Lefty Krey is mentioned, well schooled fly fishers take notice. So it was for me this past week, when I came across an interview with Lefty, in Gear Patrol Magazine, titled ?30 Minutes With: Lefty Krey.? In the article, associate editor Chris Wright, asked Lefty a number of pointed questions; about what his thoughts on what has transpired in the sport of fly fishing during his sixty plus years as a fly fishing icon. One statement stood starkly out in my mind:

?The single biggest mistake made in casting instruction is that the instructor teaches how he casts.?

What? That thought runs contrary to much of what is taught, and in particular what you are taught if you seek to be certified as a casting instructor, under the prestigious FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers).

Lefty is right of course; as he further explains we are all of different sizes, shapes, and mobility. Finishing his explanation with;

?Cast the way you?re built. Cast to fit the situation.?

This is not a new revelation. Joan Wulff, fly casting instructor and legend for nearly seventy years, in her writings explains in detail; the differences in bone and muscle structure between men and women and how these differences necessitate different methods and equipment.

There are a number of things that I have come across in my forty four years as a fly angler; that I believe amount to nothing more than cherished myths. Stay tuned for the next few columns, as I try to debunk some of these misguided ideas and help you turn them into more practical applications.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow. Try working the south west sections of your favorite during the evening through night fall for better success. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, Doc Spratley, or Halfback. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Ibis, Red Spratley, or Kokanee killer.

The bass and pan fish, fishing is slow to fair. For bass try: Big Black, Clouser?s Deep Minnow, Lefty?s Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Popin Bug, Foam Frog, Chernobyl Ant, Adult Damsel, or Stimulator. For Pan fish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Halfback, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Tied Down Minnow, Popin Bug, or Chernobyl Ant.

Our interior lakes are slow. Try: Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, 52 Buick, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp, for fishing wet. For dry fly action try: Lady McConnel, Big Ugly, Black Gnat, Tom Thumb, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is good for spring and Sockeye. For spring try: Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone. For sockeye try: Lime green or chartreuse patterns.

The Harrison River is fair for cutthroat, rainbow and sockeye. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Hairs Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Anderson Stone, Adult Damsel, Golden Stone, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Thomson River is good for rainbow. Try: Kaufmann Golden stone, Joe?s Hopper, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Rolled Muddler.