+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teabag Wings

Hybrid View

Default Teabag Wings

Perhaps 2-4 years ago there was a post wherein teabags were used for the wings of dry flies. The poster made the point of stating that he was using UK tea bags, which are made from a material different from that used in American teabags. I went found some British teabags in the international aisle at a local store and bought a box. They are a good bit more expensive than what I am used to, but the tea is MUCH better and the teabags seem to be made from a different material.

I had to post an entire paragraph to set up my question. What, if anything, is done to treat the now-empty tea bags before cutting them and tying them in as mayfly wings? Thanks in advance. (Yes, the tea has been removed.)

Ed

Blog Entries

They are usually treated first.
    Remember the Tyvek rage for wings back in the mid-90's??
    Tiers were driving around to construction sites to pick up discarded Tyvek sheets. LOL

I read that Italian tea bags are the best....back to the store Ed!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=268

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=54639
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-18-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Ed,

I can't speak to the use of teabags, domestic or imported, but something that works well is a used laundry static/softener sheet. Stretch it over a jar and lock it down with a rubber band. Then spray it with lacquer, hair spray, or similar. Don't overdo it. Then cut, burn to shape or attach feather and cut or burn.

Allan

You can use 3M waterproof packaging tape in the same way. Another way would be to use panty house in the same way that Allan uses laundry sheets.

AlanB Guest

A really effective modern way to use any of those materials is to just coat what will be the insides with Diamond Flex. A flexible UV resin. The biggest advantage of doing this is speed. Coat, zap, cut out, and tie in. Non of the waiting around for adhesives to dry. Another great thing is that it doesn't add any bulk, that makes it easier to tie small.

I've tried the packing tape method, no matter how waterproof the makers claim there tape is it isn't waterproof enough for flies.

At least you have found a use for tea bags, other than making perfectly good water unpalatable.

Cheers,
    A.

My Wife drinks green tea and the bags come a nice mottled olive-tan color and i have had no problems leaving them untreated and just using a wing burner
    G

+ Reply to Thread