+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bill's Articulated Baitfish

Hybrid View

Default Bill's Articulated Baitfish

I encountered a picture of a Bill's Articulated Baitfish online. I only had a picture, no recipe or instructions...but I thought it looked interesting, so I gave it a shot.

I tied the bottom one with the yellow eyes first. I used superline or backing line as the articulation connection. I may have tied it down too tight....when I tested it in the bathroom sink, it was dead...no action. So, I tied the top one (red eyes) with a wire connection, and it actually had decent action when tested in the sink. I also left the rear hook unclipped on that one, in case the fish were striking short. I'm glad I did!

The White Bass & Wipers were keying on smaller baitfish, so this fly was outproduced by some others yesterday...but its a really cool-looking fly, and it does catch fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That looks good! I might have to do some myself. What type/size hooks did you use? What kind of wire did you use?

The front hook is a #4 Allen SW001. The rear hook can be a #6 -#2 standard 3XL or 4XL streamer hook.
    The wire I got at a craft store. Its almost too stiff, but it works. The mylar tubing is 1/4" Wapsi FlexiCord, Pearl. I recommend using clear mono thread for this one.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Consideration could be given to use...

Expressions Mesh Tubing from JoAnns
    and also from JoAnns Beadalon nylon coated stainless steel wire which is not too stiff...I use it on articulated flies....comes in different sizes.

Yes, substitute with whatever you have or can find. I'm not sure the materials I used were the same as on the one in the picture I found.
    Here's the original image...it also used a lip to increase its action in the water...which I omitted when I tied it:
    warmwater_flies_1100.jpg

A friend gave me several colors of tubing from JoAnns...I don't know if its the same brand or style as one you listed above, it wasn't packaged anymore. It was smaller diameter than the 1/4" FlexiCord and also stiffer. It looked really nice, but I had a hard time trying to get cut sections of it it to turn inside out without unraveling. I gave up. I guess I should try turning it inside out BEFORE I cut it...didn't think of that at the time. Your tubing might be different, too.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks for the tip about the Beadalon wire. I'll have to get some. I just picked up 75 FEET of hollow braid mono/mylar from Hobby Lobby for $6.50. It's about 5mm in diameter. I can get some 8mm stuff from Micheal's, 10 feet for $3.50. I was wondering; I also picked up a dyed-red ostrich plume. I'm thinking a few herls, tied-in and twisted together, a couple turns, right at the bend of the lead hook, might make a good imitation of gills?

+ Reply to Thread