+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocating West!

Hybrid View

Default Relocating West!

Folks,

I apologize for the paucity of posts and my infrequent viewing of the FAOL website for the past several months. I had originally planned on moving West after my retirement in January, 2013. However, a head-on auto accident in November, 2012 and the resulting injuries to my wife and myself, as well as our litigation suit against the other driver and her insurance company, caused us to postpone our move (as well as many other planned pleasurable activities!) until now. We are very soon to leave West TN for our new home in the Panhandle region of Idaho.

We've just about jumped through all of the hoops for selling one house and buying another. The only outstanding things we have to do are to finish packing a few things and driving our household goods and 7 cats (and my wife with her anxiety about getting the cats there safely!) some 2,000 miles. We are looking forward to our retirement life in Idaho, complete with all the good fishing opportunities the region affords. Hopefully, the next 2-3 weeks will see us settled in and beginning to enjoy our new domicile and surroundings. Meanwhile, there's work to be done!

Gary J.

Gary;
    On the 11th of September I will also be heading to Idaho to visit my kid brother and his wife. He is the manager of Hayburn State Park about 35 miles south of Coeur d'Alene.
    I've always flown out to visit but this year I will be driving and plan to do some exploring. I've fished the St. Joe several time but would like to check out the North Branch of the Coeur d'Alene River.
    The North Idaho Fly Caster's have their meeting on Thursday the 18th of September at the Best Western Plus in Coeur d'Alene. I plan to attend Ron and Kat. http://www.northidahoflycasters.org/About%20Us.htm
    Maybe you will be settled in by then and we can hook up for some fishing.

Gary,
    It is good to hear from you again but I am sorry to hear about y'all's problems and pain. I hope that you two recover fully and enjoy life in Idaho with your plethora of walking, dubbing dispensers, um, cats. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Send pictures of "snow" back to Tennessee.

Regards,
    Ed

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Congratulations on finally finding your new western home.

To do list.
    1) Snow shovel.
    2) Snow blower.
    3) Big ole bag of salt.
    4) Big ole stack of fire wood.
    5) Find big ole neighborhood kid to use snow shovel, snow blower, spread salt, chop and stack fire wood.

You're not in Kansas anymore brother, give our best to Phil and good luck with the cat wrangling. I can picture you with the Stetson on, trying to drive that heard..
    Not exactly the Ben Cartwright moment we might have imagined when visiting the Ponderosa.

...and while I'm at, looks like you'll be taking some time out from that move for a piece of red velvet cake today.
    It's 8 / 19 - Happy Birthday Gary.

Be well, Dave & Peggy.
    Last edited by Dave E; 08-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I visited the panhandle years ago and thought it was awesome. fish the N Br. Coeur D'Alene and caught many cuts everywhere I tried. Also drove to WA to fish the Spokane river. Its hard to describe such beauty. your a lucky and brave man to make such a drastic move. I commend you.

Happy Birthday, Gary!

Ed

Blog Entries

Gary,

You are a hop, skip and jump from some fantastic fishing in western Montana in the St. Regis/Superior area on the Clark Fork River. You will have to give that a try next year.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Folks,

We finally made it to our new home in northern Idaho in early September. I had to fly back to Nashville to get my pick-up truck, utility trailer, and my workshop "stuff" and drive all the way back across the country a second time. Ended up traveling over 6500 miles in about ten days, counting the flight. My tail-feathers are still dragging from all that travel! We didn't have too much trouble during all that traveling, except for a tire blowout on the U-Haul truck near the Badlands in South Dakota. We were stranded on the side of the road for about 4 hours in some rain and strong wind. The worst part was the 7 cats started coming out of their stupor as the sleeping medication wore off. That made the wife extremely anxious, as the cats were trying to tear out of their containers.

Jack, I'm not certain I will be able to make the next meeting of the North Idaho Fly Caster's, but I will try if possible. I'd sure like to hook up with some folks who know their way around up here to lessen my learning curve for outdoor pursuits.

Larry, I observed with considerable interest the Clark Fork and the St. Regis rivers as I drove through western MT. Those are some fine looking streams! I plan on getting out soon to scout those rivers, as well as several other streams in the Panhandle of Idaho. Right now, getting things unpacked and stored away is our primary objective. It's amazing how much junk, er, stuff, we can accumulate in our lifetime. I am continually reminded of George Carlin's discussion of how we tend to let our "stuff" rule us, instead of us ruling our "stuff". There's a lesson to be learned from that!

Gary

+ Reply to Thread