+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the value

I went through the exercise of a bamboo rod rebuild a couple of months ago. It had belonged my father-in-law, who got me started fly fishing, and he got it from his father. At 88 he was pretty much beyond fishing. The rod was a South Bend, not an heirloom except in a family sense. It was in superficially pretty bad shape but far from irretrievable. I rebuilt it using modern components and did a write-up on it for my club's web site [url=http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/grandpas_rod/GrampasFlyRod.html:0626a]http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/grandpas_rod/GrampasFlyRod.html[/url:0626a]
    I sent him a copy, and the report was he was really delighted. Well he passed away last week. This was sad, but I am really glad I got it done when I did and let him know about it.

Mike

Mike,

It's stories like yours that put the value into perspective. Absolutely priceless. The heritage and the restoration of the rod coupled with how your father-in-law must have felt inside, again, Absolutely priceless.

You did a magnificant job on the restoration. I picked up some tips on the cork. Thanks for sharing.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Mike,
    Very nice job on the rebuild and report. Thanks for sharing it with us. What a joy that must have been to share it with your father in law prior to his passing.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread