+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the value

Default Where's the value

Several weeks ago I began undertaking a bamboo rod restoration project. I had no preconcieved ideas what I was going to do with the rod. It did have some age to it although not what anyone would consider a collectors item. I decided to remove everything and just start over with the blanks. I ordered my ferrules, stepdown, and the rod has three tips so extra cost there. I was somewhat taken back at the cost of the ferrules and really wondered If I had made a wise choice dollars and cents wise to completely restore this rod. It will never be worth what I will have in it.

The answer is yes, it is worth it to me. The time I have fishing with it is the return on investment.

Here lieth the value.
    Steve

Rookie, you have just discovered something that is very dear to boo enthusiasts. It really doesnt matter what the boo is worth to ANYONE but you when you are doing something like that. If you like it, if you fish it, if it brings out something in you that only you and the boo know...then you have found the inevitible pot at the end of the rainbow...and its filled with something far more valuable than gold.

Rookie-I do many that are not collectors items many are UFOs[unidentified fishing objects] But I will do what ever it takes to make it workable and attractive because I love it when someone says I cant afford a bamboo rod and than find out that they can.

Rookie,
    I don't think we'll ever recoup the moneys we've put into rebuilding or even refinishing a rod especially when we factor in the time involved.
    However, we will all realize the value of it when we finally assemble it, gazing down the length of the bamboo and seeing the brilliance of the finish, the sparkle of the ferrules and the sprinkle of colors from the wraps of the guides. You'll gaze at the ever-slight set to the right (maybe left, maybe down) that just will not straighten no matter how many times you've heated the bend to true it. But you've come to accept it giving it justification because of the natural weight of the bamboo- that which you've just spent weeks carressing between your fingers feeling for every micro bump or valley.
    You'll mount the reel with line that you specifically selected for your now new favorite fly rod. Shaking out about fifteen feet of line you draw out another twenty or so feet. You are awestruck as you feel the rod load up on its very first back cast and watch the line follow as if in slow motion behind you. You restrain every muscle of your upper body, arms and hand from the impulse to punch the new cork grip forward and you wait for the line to unfurl behind you. Then, as you push the rod forward you notice an unfamiliar weight of forty feet of fly line, tippet and fly as it keeps your wooden rod from springing quickly forward- characteristics you've come accustomed to with the graphite rods you've been using. The bamboo finally wins this tug-o-war and forces the line forward to its target, a shadowy growth hanging over a small service plate sized eddy next to a round boulder resembling a beachball. The fly you selected swirls but a mere second or two. A flash of color, you gently but quickly lift the rod while gently snugging up your line-hand when you realize that every penny and every second you have just invested in this rod has returned you multifolds of immeasureable pleasure.
    Enjoy your rebuild.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Although I don't have the ambition, skill, patience or desire to rebuld a bamboo rod I did have an experience not totally unlike yours.

I bought a old South Bend boo off ebay. I think the price was right. The rod was as discribed...old but nearly unfished and a slight dog leg right.

The first time I took the rod apart the ferrules came off (old glue). I emailed John Channer for help - - he said "send it out I'll see what I can do". He reset the ferrules and straightened it somewhat. Some weeks later I broke the tip trying to straighten it some more. Sent it back to John. He made a new tip rewrapped the entire rod so the thread would match and BTW did an excellent job, I defy anybody to tell which section is not original if they did not know.

I now have more money in that rod than it will ever be worth - - I had to make a choice - "pitch it or fish it". I think I made the right decision. John brought a new life to a 50 year old rod.

There are so many rewards reaped from tackling a project such as this, from the onset of just the idea, to the finished project, to the actual use. Just can't put a monetary value on the rewards.

I wish I had the ability to express it the way Wednesdaycaster can. What a picture.
    Steve

Wednesday Caster you sure know how to explain what many of us think and feel.Thanks

I am so jazzed. I currently have a couple Pflueger Medalists for my 7 and 7.5 boos. Last week I bidded on two skeleton reels (USA) models on ebay and won both for $10 bucks. I know they're not collectors but they look so cool and after some clean'n and lube'n they're functioning like new. Can't wait to load them up with some line and match them up with my shorter boos. My 90 year old fishing partner is going to have flashbacks when he sees these old rods and reels. He really enjoys my efforts at restoring these old rods- which is just added value.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

WednesdayCaster,
    You referred to your 90 year old fishing partner. I would LOVE to see the look on THAT face when they see a "youngster" actually respecting & coveting a flyrod from "back in the good old days". Good for you!...BTW, I wouldn't trade my 1942 SouthBend 'boo for ANY modern rod. It has history & the stamp of 2 very good friends...Dotman & Dleo6446...PRICELESS!!
    Mikey

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I wish I had the ability to "Write Pictures" the way you all can. What a gift.

Steve
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread