+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flies and worms

Default worms

sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

A worm would work in that situation....on your fly rod
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Was it in Trout Madness where the question was asked about the difference between a fly fisherman and all others? The fly fisherman carries his worms in a wallet...

I think it was about 40 years ago (!) that Patrick McManus dealt with this conundrum In one of his stories. He was taking his hard-core-dry-flies-only boss fishing. He was accompanied by one of his childhood friends, IIRC it was Retch Sweeney. The three of them fished hard all day and were smelling The Skunk. Patrick's Boss was getting testy and Mr. McManus was getting panicky. Retch drifted away a bit and suddenly started catching fish on almost every cast. They hollered to him and asked what he was using. He said a #16 Light Cahill. Patrick and Boss immediately changed flies and started catching... nothing. Finally they went over to the now-sheepish Retch and looked at his "fly". It was a bare hook with a glob of worms on it. Patrick was horrified. Patrick's boss looked at Patrick and Patrick looked back. They quietly snipped off their flies, tied on bare hooks, and each accepted a worm from the handful proffered by Retch. They immediately began taking trout. Later on, they commented on how well Retch had matched the hatch...

Regards,
    Ed

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like I should have been fishing deeper. I tried a few wet flies but they were not very deep. Also as I recall the worm and bobber guy was rather deep but the thought never occurred to me at the time.

I guess the only solution in more experience which of course means I will have to fish more often. Oh darn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    I think it was about 40 years ago (!) that Patrick McManus dealt with this conundrum In one of his stories. He was taking his hard-core-dry-flies-only boss fishing. He was accompanied by one of his childhood friends, IIRC it was Retch Sweeney. The three of them fished hard all day and were smelling The Skunk. Patrick's Boss was getting testy and Mr. McManus was getting panicky. Retch drifted away a bit and suddenly started catching fish on almost every cast. They hollered to him and asked what he was using. He said a #16 Light Cahill. Patrick and Boss immediately changed flies and started catching... nothing. Finally they went over to the now-sheepish Retch and looked at his "fly". It was a bare hook with a glob of worms on it. Patrick was horrified. Patrick's boss looked at Patrick and Patrick looked back. They quietly snipped off their flies, tied on bare hooks, and each accepted a worm from the handful proffered by Retch. They immediately began taking trout. Later on, they commented on how well Retch had matched the hatch...
    I remember that! The article was called "Mr. Taggart". Thanks for the memory.

I've been at this fly fishing "thing" for awhile (first try at it was the summer of 1949), and have experienced some moments of enlightenment, I like to call them the - "well, I'll be darned!" - times. Some of them have been real startling, like the couple of times I turned the canoe over, that's sure to get your attention! But on the milder side, and has some bearing on fly fishing in these parts anyway, has been the discovery of fishing by the moon. Not only the phases of the moon, like a full moon, but the rising and setting of the moon. Who was it in that old Andy Griffith sitcom who use to say "surprise, surprise, surprise!"

Anyway, here's a reference of what I'm talking about ~

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phase_fishing.phtml

Blog Entries

Dale,

Gomer Pyle was the "surprise, surprise, surprise" person if memory serves me right., AKA Jim Nabors. Come to think of it, the show took place in North Carolina. The show was "The Andy Griffith Show" then "Mayberry RFD".

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 08-18-2014 at 04:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread