While I understand the pleasure owning quality tools, I also understand the 'disposable' aspect of many items we use in fly tying.

For me, scissors are solidly in the 'disposable' category.

I use them. I refuse to baby my scissors. I'm not going to change tools just to cut a bit of lead or copper wire, I just us the area of the blade closest to the pivot point to do so. I find that my scissors, which cost around $15 (Fiskers cushion grip microtips) last me a year or two. Fiskars sells a sharpening tool, and that keeps the edges keen enough to cut any material I need to right out to the tips. Once I get to the point where they won't stay sharp, I replace them (probably ground through the case hardening as AlanB suggested). I keep the old ones around for other uses.

Getting an expensive pair of high end scissors professionally sharpened is a necessary expense, but added to the high cost of the tool itself, plus the downtime while it's being serviced, I can't justify it when I can buy 10 to 20 pairs of the 'disposable' ones. I get it for professional hair dressers, and folks who make living with such tools. Can't see where it would be financially justified for even a professional fly tyer, though.

Sorry for the hijack.

Buddy