+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Proliferation of synthetics

I don't regret having started this thread but wish it hadn't gone down so many sidetracks.
    My complaint about proliferation related only to the way so many sales outlets are calling the same material by different names in an attempt to get us to think it is something better.
    My other completely separate thought was to emphasize my personal enjoyment in using what I consider traditional flies that have at least a little history. I was not suggesting we limit ourselves to only flies of hundreds of years ago, I think Art Flick's Cream Variant, Fran Betters Usual or Edson Tigers as being somewhat classic. I'm not at all adverse to progress but I don't enjoy patterns that exclusively use styrofoam and silicone rubber. I also get enjoyment using my old Phillipson bamboo rod and taking my 20 year old BMW out on Sunday drives. Thanks for thinking about the subject.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 08-17-2014 at 04:50 PM.

I would never equate a '94 BMW to a Phillipson bamboo; now if it was a '74 2002 tii.......

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Ray,
    I'm with you. Love some classics and get pleasure from using such......flies, vises, rods, etc.

For example, I have an old vise used by Fran Betters. I enjoy taking it out and using it once in a while. Sorta provides a connection to an old Master.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-17-2014 at 06:04 PM.

I doubt that any of us who like the traditional aspects of fly fishing has much against synthetics, I use a foam ant all the time and it's very effective. After all, Ray Bergman used celluloid. Early this summer I caught a nice rainbow by Eastern standards on the Lycoming in Pa. I got it with a Leadwing Coachman wet fly, a fly I hadn't fished since the '60s. It was such a thrill to see that fly work after all these years.

Byron, I envy you that vise. Fran was a legend up there, and rightly so. He was an artist even by Buddy's definition!

+ Reply to Thread