+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AK Vice

Hybrid View

Thumbs up AK Vice

I noticed a thread awhile back about someone wanting an AK Vice, I think it was Byron Haugh as if he didn't already have enough vices. At any rate there is one currently on Ebay with a bunch of fly tying materials. I think the current price is $450 if anyone is interested. I made a couple of offers but couldn't get him to come down, I believe he said he would not go below $400 !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

It is amazing what Ak vise go for he has some great tools that's for sure ,I sold mine for over $400. Only thing I miss is the bobbin cradle I wish someone would bring the bobbin cradle back , I would be all over it. The best design ever .

Blog Entries

Paddy,
    Thanks. I had one with the heavy aluminum base and 3rd hand. I sold mine and wish I hadn't.
    The only thing I didn't like is that there was no bushing or bearing system at the post, so there was a tiny bit of play unless you locked it in.
    Loved the jaws.
    Mine was before he sold the vise system out. In fact, my instruction booklet which came with the vise had photos of an HMH instead of his AK vise. Guess he did the instructional booklet before his vise was available. Sorta funny, I thought.

AlanB Guest

Billyspey, If memory serves the main feature of the AK bobbin cradle was that it was free standing, not connected to the vice. It would not take much to make yourself one. Some coat hanger wire and a heavy base, is all you would need.

Cheers,
    A.

I made my own separate bobbin cradle after seeing the one Mr. Best used in his book on production fly tying. One of the best things I ever put together for fly tying.

I made mine as a clamp on, using a base mount from an old vise. Couldn't tie without it now.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread