+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing for under wader wear?

Default Is there such a thing for under wader wear?

I've struggled to find a particular type of pants for under wader wear during warmer weather, and thought I'd toss it out to you guys to see if anyone had found something like what I'm looking for. Like most I'm sure, I've always seen a dramatic difference in the performance of my breathable waders when I had a layer (or layers) of wicking material underneath them, as opposed to bare skin or pants made of materials that didn't wick moisture very well. In colder weather, I have everything covered, between lighter weight form-fitting layers (like Patagonia capilene or Simms Waderwick) and/or midweight fleece layers. My challenge comes during the warmer months, as much because of to and from the stream challenges as anything.

The place where I most frequently fish during that time of year has a fair amount of foot traffic in and around the areas where I would normally park and get geared up. I'm not an overly modest person, but as a family man I am respectful of the fact that the parents who brought their kids to the park for a picnic probably aren't thrilled to see some guy sitting on the back of his truck stripping down to his underwear in order to get into a breathable layer and then his waders, nor to reverse the process at the end of the day. So what I've sought to do is come up with some type of pant that I could just wear to and from the stream and that would be made of a moisture wicking material, so that I could just slip the waders on over those pants and be on my way. The typical stretch polyester layer isn't going to get the job done, because I would obviously look pretty ridiculous if seen in those anywhere other than on the stream or onstage holding a ballerina above my head, and summer weather here is way too hot to wear them under jeans with the intent of stripping the jeans off on the back of the truck. Likewise, the midweight fleece, while a little more presentable off-stream, is too hot to wear at that time of year. What I've been using is a couple different brands of those zip-off pants that are often used for wet wading or surf fishing. While they're quick drying and beneficial in those applications, I've learned that they don't wick particularly well under waders, leading to a persistent clamminess that's probably better than jeans or bare skin, but not much. Having looked into it a little more now, I've learned those types of pants are typically made of nylon, where the wicking products are typically made of polyester, which apparently makes a huge difference. So what I'd like to find is something that has a cut and fit that's similar to regular pants (as opposed to a pair of tights), but that's made of polyester or some other wicking material, and that isn't so heavy that you'd be miserable on a summer day wearing it in the restaurant on the way back or at the gas pump. Has anybody found anything that seems to satisfy those combined objectives? Thanks for any constructive ideas.
    Last edited by John_N; 08-03-2014 at 07:18 PM.

How about medical scrubs? I'm not sure what kind of synthetic materials they're made of (definitely don't want the cotton ones), but some are very light weight. No chance you can wet-wade?

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 08-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Albeit I've not used the waders in quite a spell ... been using the hip boots so as to keep me in less then knee high water. But when I did use them (in the summer months), of course in pretty cool water, I wore a the waist length "long handles" that were 50% cotton and 50% polyester. Just wore them ... no trousers. Now with the hip boots I wear blue jeans

Any decent pair of light hiking pants will work. REI, North Face, Ex Officio, Patagonia, etc. Tons of them on the market. Quick drying type also make great wet wading wear. YMMV.

How about some of the convertible pants that zip off into shorts? They're made out of light weight nylon intended to keep you cool. Something like this:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/col...colorFamily=03

Just a thought...

Jim Smith

i use light weight capilene long john bottoms, and throw a pair of exercise shorts over them for the trip to and from the put in.

i am decent if not fashionable

garthman

My first thought is why not wet wade? Put on a pair of quick drying nylon / poly fishing pants with your wading boots and have at it. Much more comfortable in June, July and August.

If that doesn't work for some reason, I think Garthman's suggestion is on the mark. From what I understand, this is how the Kiwi's fish (although they wet wade).

Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
    i use light weight capilene long john bottoms, and throw a pair of exercise shorts over them for the trip to and from the put in.

i am decent if not fashionable

garthman

i wear a camo wicking base layer that serves the purpose

I do the same as Gartham. Just some sort of shorts over your breathable, moisture-wicking tights. And be sure to sing this song

I agree with the comments about wet wading - I don't do that as often as I should. While the fishing I'm talking about is trout fishing in cold-ish water, it's not the 55 degree variety that I often find in the tailwater I head to. A recent sweaty trip smallmouth fishing on a hot KY day reminded me that I need to wet wade more often and stop making myself miserable in conditions that don't absolutely require waders. I think I'm going to look into some wicking polyester sweatpant type pants, like Nike Dri-fit, Under Armour, or similar for the times when I do think I need waders and it's warm outside. Thanks to everyone.

+ Reply to Thread