+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suffering Through Kodiak, Again

Blog Entries

Default Suffering Through Kodiak, Again

Just getting on the internet briefly, still in Kodiak fishing and having a terrible time with fish far too numerous to count and far too heavy to carry! Hope none of you are being so sorely taxed and your muscles do not ache like every last piece of organic matter being held together by this old hide!
    best to all
    art

What a problem to have hap........without pictures, there is no proof of this..........hardship?

Good for you Art.hope you have many days of such suffering .

Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Sounds like subliminal marketing, and very good at that. Wish I had the coins to make the trip and pay you to take me fishing.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

What kind of fish?
    Photos?

Blog Entries

Last night we fished in heavy rain for several hours with three different 4wts. Nice wide stream and we got to spend the entire time in just one hole. There were legal king salmon in the hole but we just harassed the Dollies. I just got a TFO 10' for just this place and to match a particular old G Loomis Metolius a friend owns. I had gone through several Sages, a T&T, and a bunch more before trying this one... It is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

The dollies were as small as 10" and the best were well past 24". There were far more takes than casts as we were swinging a wet fly, the Kodiak Sea Louse I posted a SBS on a couple years ago. It is hard to keep the line tight and the takes are usually quick and over. Once it is figured out it works ridiculously well though. A friend from LA, CA, was having his first truly incredible experience as a fly fisherman and could not believe the fishing.

A 2' dolly on a 4wt is not exactly nothing... and they fight extremely well just a half-mile or so from saltwater. We are going back today and the rain has stopped for now so pictures will be possible.

I have also caught king, red, pink, and chum salmon on flies this trip. There have been a few rainbows and in salt; halibut, lingcod, cod, and at least a half-dozen species of rockfish. We dropped several hundred pounds of fillets at the fish processor for vacuum packing and freezing.

Pictures have to wait until I get home as the WIfi is spotty here.

Envy you this annual trip. Have to pick you brain one day to see how feasible a Kodiak DIY would be. Best of luck, Hap.

Really sounds like you are having a great time, can't wait to see the pictures.

I can't take credit for this quote but a sage gillie once uttered " no photos lad, no fish".. ( it was, of course, a "modern" gillie) .Actually the "proper" quote was :Sport to gillie " no fish, no Glendronach. Gillie to sport " no Glendronach, no fish". Legend has it gillie won that standoff.
    That a bit off topic but, hap, I too would love to "see" those vast quantities.

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't take credit for this quote but a sage gillie once uttered " no photos lad, no fish".. ( it was, of course, a "modern" gillie) .Actually the "proper" quote was :Sport to gillie " no fish, no Glendronach. Gillie to sport " no Glendronach, no fish". Legend has it gillie won that standoff.
    That a bit off topic but, hap, I too would love to "see" those vast quantities.

Mark
    Mark
    I seldom post Salmonidae killing pictures... but it took effort today to clean the blood off the waders for photos...

Most folks would have to just gasp at the numbers of wild, native, anadromous char we fished over today. These were the bigger fish in the river and had segregated by size as they naturally tend to do. It was goofy how many fish were there, yet by numbers the smaller fish carpet some pools and completely block the river bottom from view.
    art

+ Reply to Thread