+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suffering Through Kodiak, Again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Envy you this annual trip. Have to pick you brain one day to see how feasible a Kodiak DIY would be. Best of luck, Hap.
    DIY on Kodiak is very doable with a very high probability of great success. The AK Fly Fishers used to do an annual trip and many from outside made the trip with us. They get the advantage of local knowledge on the water and usually we make arrangements for cheaper housing. Usually I would have 6 people staying on my boat for these trips and it works/ed very well.

It was dead quiet until just seconds ago when the sky opened up and just dumped on us. It was good to be back on the boat.

Back on topic... many military retirees take advantage of the cheap billeting and food on the Coast Guard base. I know several that travel together with just a single military individual.

PM a number and time when you want to talk about options.
    art

Blog Entries

Oh, and I no longer run charters so there will be no sales pitch or similar...

ok how bout a kodiak fish in????
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Blog Entries

IME it starts out looking grand and then the cancellations start when folks actually get down to looking at costs. Few can drive their motorhomes there realistically and fewer will cough up the airfare. Kodiak's infamous weather is such that many do not want to risk the potential loss of fishing days and travel issues. I once sat in the Kodiak airport for 13 days waiting on weather... (not actually literally, just had my trip delayed by 13 days and was at the airport at least several times each day. That was later in the year than most fishing.

I would volunteer to help as much as possible and explain the risks, timing, options, and see about finding deals on lodging, but it might be shakey trying to put it all together.

I'll be there in 2-1/2 weeks. How much rainfall has there been this year - normal, ahead, or behind?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I'll be there in 2-1/2 weeks. How much rainfall has there been this year - normal, ahead, or behind?
    Normal, but that means all over the place with Kodiak. When I was there the levels were about perfect for quality fishing in the road system streams. That can ALL change in literally just a few hours. I will PM you my phone number in just a minute if you would like to talk about what you might find, fishing-wise.
    art

Hap, I have been going up there for several years and just fishing the road system. Pretty fun. Was wondering what the word is on the Coho return -- has it started or already under way. Big return or small? Last year they were early. Thanks.

Three friends and I spent 5 days on Kodiak staying on the Coast Guard base.
    Rented a van to fish different rivers, rained every day.I Hooked one Silver for about 10 min till the hook came out.
    My friends landed 4 and the guide gave them one he landed. They paid $80 to have them cleaned and packed.
    One of the boxed fish was put in a carryall to make it easier to carry when we got back.
    Guess which bad didn't get put on the plane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    Hap, I have been going up there for several years and just fishing the road system. Pretty fun. Was wondering what the word is on the Coho return -- has it started or already under way. Big return or small? Last year they were early. Thanks.
    Coho returns are looking good and they have started.

Have you fished the saltwater flat in front of Kalsin Pond? One of my favorite spots...
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    Three friends and I spent 5 days on Kodiak staying on the Coast Guard base.
    Rented a van to fish different rivers, rained every day.I Hooked one Silver for about 10 min till the hook came out.
    My friends landed 4 and the guide gave them one he landed. They paid $80 to have them cleaned and packed.
    One of the boxed fish was put in a carryall to make it easier to carry when we got back.
    Guess which bad didn't get put on the plane.
    I do not understand how folks have such trouble getting into silvers on Kodiak. Rain of course is an excellent excuse as those little rivers get out of shape fast!

Most folks insist on getting too close to the fish and putting them down and they use flies that are much too large once they have put them down.

+ Reply to Thread