+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing on wraps

Default Finishing on wraps

I just put my second coat on my first rod. I went with a really clean somewhat minimal look. In one of Al's articles he wrote that you really only need to seal the wraps for functionality, coating for smoothness is really done for looks. I tried to go very light on epoxy and want to know what is the minimum? Hopefully later I can post some pics and get some more feedback.

Thanks Everyone, Adam

I think you can do exactly what you want to do. There are no rules and if someone else doesn't like it -- so what?

However, I would also say there is certain amount of artistic license that goes into rod building and it kind of defines you as a builder. Too much finish makes the ferrules and guides wraps look like footballs and for sure, the closer to the tip you get, the epoxy begins to look really built up even though it isn't. Maybe 2 or 3 applications should do the job.

In the end, a rod is a "tool" -- just a means to get the fly out in the water. It doesn't have to look pretty to do that.

[This message has been edited by Orthoman (edited 25 March 2006).]

Adam;
    Orthoman is right. I just wrapped a bamboo with orange thread and no color preserver. The wraps went transparent, the guide feet just gleam through them.
    I did make a mistake on another rod and used the wrong epoxy on the guide wraps and the green thread went almost black while the furrel wraps are a bright green & gold.
    Oh well! At least it looks like it was supposed to be like that!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

+ Reply to Thread