+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iowa Smallies

Cycler68, I have not tried either of those rivers. I didn't even know Iowa had a Rock River! I lived in northern Illinois for a time, and there is a Rock River there that definitely has a good population of Smallies.

Malevo, You may have seen these pics on Chad's Iowa Fly Fishers site, I listed the name of the river there. Yes, I think you know this river well. 18-inchers? Those would be HUGE from this river! About 3-4 years ago (before the drought summers), there was a feedlot manure pond spill into the upper reaches of this river which resulted in an extensive fish kill. The DNR said they found Smallies as large as 20" there, which really surprised me.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

FishnDave wrote
    "Cycler68, I have not tried either of those rivers. I didn't even know Iowa had a Rock River!"

You'll have to come up to northwestern Iowa sometime and check things out. We do have more than corn, beans, cattle and hogs up here. We even have a fly fishing club here in Sioux City. The url is http://www.siouxlandflyfishing.com/
    Last edited by cycler68; 07-30-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Hey
    cycler68,

Been fly fishing here in NW., IA for about 4-5yrs now and only seen maybe 3 other people fly fishing. Glad to see we do have a few others around.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

There are more folks trying flyfishing here in central Iowa. Just in the past week I've seen other folks flyfishing the local public ponds...and yesterday on my way home from work, I was driving up the street I live on, and passed 3 kids with fishing gear in their front yard...one had a fly rod! And they don't even know me (yet)!
    I thought that was pretty cool!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

When I grew up in Remsen, Iowa my dad ,who was not a fly fisherman, wanted me to be exposed to fly fishing. I was quite young then. He bought me a South Bend bamboo fly rod with the reel and line and handed it to me with nary a word of instruction. Having fished long bamboo poles and some sort of bait casters I rigged up with a pear shaped weight and hook with a worm on it...... and knowing that you threw the line backwards then forwards I proceeded to do that .....the first time the weight hit me in the back of the head as did the second and third time. With that I folded things up went home never to think about fly fishing till moving here the the Great Northwest.

I doubt that the fishing was as good then around there as it sounds like it is now.

+ Reply to Thread