+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Smallies

Default Iowa Smallies

I waded and flyfished a new-to-me 1/2-mile section of a small river. Considering this river had basically dried up each of the past 2 summers, I was pleased to find any fish at all.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Now that is a river I would love to fish!!! Smallmouth on a fly rod are fantastic! Great pictures!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

looks like fun to me

wish the smallies around here where that nice size, looks like a good time.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by mickalo View Post
    wish the smallies around here where that nice size, looks like a good time.

Mike
    Mike, I'd say the river I was fishing isn't much bigger than that stream/river that runs on the east side of Alton, up by you. What is that river (I saw it on Google Earth), and is there any fish in it? Looks big enough for something catchable?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,

I believe your referring to the Floyd River which isn't really good for fishing right now had a major manure run off problem about a year ago, from allot of the farms stemming from about Sioux City to Lemars continue further north. So I fish allot of the local pond here, Alton, Sandy Hollow, Mill Creek and Douma. Allot of good fishing in these areas. Just got back for Sandy Hollow and caught about a dozen Gills really good size. I know theres smallies in there but haven't caught but a few small ones

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Wow! I have to admit I'd never heard of any of those parks/ponds...but they all look GREAT on Google Earth!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Mike,
    nice to see that the river has still some smallies in it. If it is the same river than I think (I think I recognize the area of your pics), then I should pay another visit this August. I Loved fishing it a couple of years ago and managed to get a couple of about 18" smallies one evening. There were plenty of small fish (what it is always good) but then the river dried up last two summers. So it is nice to see good size fish in the river again.

M
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Have any of you fellow Iowans tried the Rock River or Big Sioux? I have caught small smallies out of the Rock from time to time. Down here the Sioux holds smallies but I don't know how far north they go. And of course there is the Missouri which has good smallmouth fishing especially north of Sioux City.

+ Reply to Thread