+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nymphs, a less single sided view.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    If that were the case realistic patterns would produce better than standard nymphs. I am not aware of this being the case, but I could be wrong. I suppose if you can calculate the exact body density of each individual nymph. Not to mention species. And, get it/them to tumble exactly as a natural would while attached to your tippet, you would be on to something. I do not see many realistic patterns winning trout competitions. I do see a lot of generic attractors winning though. There comes a point when the fisherman is caught by the pattern and not the trout.

As I said, I haven't made up my mind on this concept yet. I'm not talking about the "super realistic" nymph patterns v. "In the round", just ones with a simple wing case.....similar to those in AlanB's photo above on the right.
    Guess I'm still trying to find the advantage of a single-sided view v. The natural? Would a nymph pattern with wing cases on top and bottom be good?
    I certainly agree that there would be a little time saved in tying " in the round", but the other advantage(s)?

I tie both ways, fancier for flys I give away and simpler for myself. For example I tie my Hare's ears with no wing case or legs. Haven't noticed in any difference in appeal to the fish. I admire beautiful products of the fly tyers art and try to tie them myself. Do the fish care? I think not. I think impressionistic beats realistic in fly fishing . Some think that impressionistic flys look more alive than realistic. Maybe they're rigkt.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    I like the Bling Baetis above...would you please share the pattern?
    Tie a Yong Special but add a CDL or Partridge tail, and a krystal flash collar.

http://prairiegoat.com/Fishing/FlyPatterns/YongSpecial.htm

Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    For example I tie my Hare's ears with no wing case or legs.
    If you look at Roman Moser's flt patterns (specifically his nymph patterns) you'll see his patterns are very simple with not having wing cases or legs.

I googled "Charlie Brooks, In the round."

Apparently, Charlie Brooks was a page 6 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Been doing it for years. Sometimes less is more.

Size 22 Bling Baetis:

I consider Flymphs tied in the round. I nymph with them 90% of the time.

Don't forget the Polish Nymphs:
    What is a Bling Baetis pattern?

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

A couple of weeks ago I tried a new to me dry pattern, the Original Bubble Sedge, and after getting lazy drying the fly started to fish it wet. After about 8 or 9 gills the CDC was shredded to the point of not being there. The fish attacked it more then when it was a dry fly. By the time a I lost the fly to a tree, a total of 31 gills were landed and the last 23 or so were with just the fox squirrel wrapped hook of the original pattern. It did not seem, at least on that excursion, that the fish cared if there was a top or bottom to the fly. It started as a dry and ended up a scrawny nymph.

I have tied and fished nymphs both on the round, out of laziness or speed, and with wing cases and they both seem to work equally well for me.

Just my two cents.

AlanB Guest

At Skirton Weir on the river Lune the sea trout (sea run browns) were going mad for a Teal Blue and Silver one night. They shredded the fly to the point there was a few turns of thread, bit of silver wire and some loose silver tinsel left on the hook. Changing it for a new fly resulted in no fish. Put the old one back on, and the fish responded again. Sometimes the one they destroy is the one they want. Sea trout though, are known for being fickle creatures.
    Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    What is a Bling Baetis pattern?
    A Yong Special with a tail and a krystal flash collar.

Here is the link....... Again
    http://prairiegoat.com/Fishing/FlyPatterns/YongSpecial.htm

+ Reply to Thread