+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Juan NM

Default San Juan NM

Anyone here familiar with the San Juan? I'm out here for a couple weeks working and brought my fly fishing gear. Guess I can't pass up the opportunity to do a little fishing for some nice trout . I'm staying in Farmington so it's just a hop and skip over there.

These guys can put you on to trout. http://www.fisheadsofthesanjuan.com/ Or just check with some of the locals there in Farmington. Sportsman's Warehouse probably can point you to some spots for wading. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

or...just go here and check out the reports:

http://sanjuanriverforum.com/forums/index.php

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Good info at ifly4trout.com.

NoLuck,

I was on the San Juan River 2 weeks ago and will probably be there again in 2-3 weeks.

We did well with #20 Red Larva, #12 Dead Chickens and size #26 Black midges (Yong Special / UFO / Bing Midge).

River is going up to 750 cfs, so the fishing should pick up.

Vinny

Hey jimsnarocks..........that fishheads of the san juan place looks just awesome and the prices are very reasonable.
    Actually looks like a better deal and a place than some of those down on the Bighorn.

Wasn't looking for a new place, but NoLuck posting this up here has certainly got my interest up.

Hickory, the Bighorn is an entirely different place than the San Juan, and I prefer it, but the San Juan is loads of fun, and I think it's easier to fish. The hatches are heavier on the Bighorn, but that doesn't stop the fish from biting on the San Juan. If you can go to both places, do, by all means.

Thanks for the info everyone. I fished this past Sunday for about 5 hours. Went to eat and head back and some wicked lightening came through with a storm. I'm pretty brave but not stupid. I also planned on fishing after work a few days this week but so far it has been brewing up another evening storm.

While I was fishing I hired a guide for a half day to learn the river and tactics a little. I ended up catching about a dozen or so fish and they were pretty decent fish. Two of which were close to the twenty inch mark rainbows. I will try again this weekend again if we don't work both days. If we do then ill just have to try evenings.

Blog Entries

I would say "close to the 20 inch mark" is a very nice fish!

Some guys from the FF club I used to belong to spent 4 days on the San Juan with fisheads. There used to be a video on their site showing them and the fish they caught. It was pretty awesome. I fished the San Juan 2 summers ago in the Pagosa Springs, CO area. It was nothing like the high desert area of New Mexico. I have a friend in Arboles, CO near the head of Navajo Lake. He fishes both sides of the state line. 20 plus inch browns and rainbows are the norm there.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread