+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple weight rod

Fly rods can and do cast different weights because we cast different distances each cast. I often cast a 7wt line on my fast six weight rod bass fishing from my kayak because almost all of my casts are under 30'. I cast the same 7wt line on my fast 8wt rod when i am heaving 75+ foot casts bass fishing from the bank.
    Manufactures try and hit a happy medium to and base the rods line weight on 30' of line out the rod tip. The rods line weight is base on a company expert's opinion casting 30' of line,your opinion my vary.

I was referring to the reply made by jszymczyk. I'm not really sure what his problem is, but everyone else was helpful. I've been fly fishing for a quite some time, but all of my equipment is light weight, I usually use a 2 or 3 weight. I thought it would be fun to fish for bass, so I thought I would need something larger to throw poppers. I have never seen a rod labeled 5/6, so I thought this would be a good place to find the answer.
    Last edited by DWM; 07-24-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Dwm

My six weight is my main bass rod. When I am throwing poppers i use a six weight floating line. Use a leader with at least 60% butt section and taper down to 8 to 12lb tippet and you will be fine. I would recommend the 6 weight forward line for the Redington you described

DWM ~ you must always keep in mind these fly fishing forums are long famous for hair splitting on subjects and different weight lines for fly rods happens to fall into that category! (LOL)

4wt is as small as my fly rod arsenal goes (runs from 4 to 9wt). Since I'm far from the sharpest knife in the drawer, I try to keep things as simple as possible so at least I can understand it!

Some years back I attended a Trout Unlimited meeting that had a great speaker from a rod manufacturer (St.Croix). He talked about the manufacturing of fly rods and tossed in a few other tidbits to boot. Some of the main things I picked up from the talk was that fly rods should be able to handle (in addition to the recommended line weight) going up or down at least one weight size; and, of course, affecting the rod's performance, too. What I gleaned from it for my use is that by dropping down a size does better for a shorter leader with the line alighting on the water softer. Going up a size makes for a little better distance casting AND for the short casts will handle a longer leader.

Let me add ... although I presently have about 13 fly rods, I try not to do the multiple weight rods but I just counted three that are. For example, my favorite (like kids, your not supposed to have one!) rod is the 5wt - Do NOT want a 4/5 or a 5/6, I want a FIVE WEIGHT. Might get too complicated for me!

Just to add to the confusion, RIO has a line that is "a full line weight above industry standard". The line over weights the rod and is supposed to cast farther more easily. (Grand model if you are interested.) Overlining is a fairly common practice to increase casting distance. So, like stop lights in Italy, line weight like lure weight is merely a suggestion.

Welcome DMW.

More confusion? I have a brand new 5 piece rod from the UK. It is labeled Oscar Traveller Deluxe Travel Rod AFTM 9' #7/9. Wonder what line to put on it. Perhaps on rods labeled with more than one weight.......one could use the CCS system to decide what line would be optimal for those kinds of rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    ......one could use the CCS system to decide what line would be optimal for those kinds of rods.
    A better way is to simply try it with each of the weights listed, and see which one you prefer. There is no "optimal" that applies to everyone, at every casting distance, with every size fly.
    Bob

The first graphite fly rod I bought was back in 1990. It was a Sage DS2 9' 6/7 2 pc rod. When I asked the guy in the fly shop why two lines, he said that it was really a 6wt but some folks who are just starting out fly fishing, might find it easier to use a 7. For years I used a 6 wff line on it and was pleased.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Actually "jszymczyk" post was helpful but may be just a bit brusque. However, it is very factual in that we tend to make too much of things at times. I have a friend who builds bamboo rods, making ever component himself. He will not label his rods as to a weight specific line size. He will make a suggestion as to what he felt worked best when he lawn tested the rod but your experience my differ from his. I have two of his rods and one is a spot-on 3 weight as he suggested but the other rod I prefer with a 6wt. and he liked with a 5 weight. Different line weights react differently on each rod but to take it to the next step, even different brands of the same line weight will react differently. The only way to know for sure is to try a few different lines on a rod and when you suddenly find yourself smiling you've probably found the right one.

I agree we make too much of things; that's why I just use whatever line my rods are rated for. To some folks the tinkering and experimentation are what it's all about, but that's not me. Then again, I don't have any rods rated for multiple weights.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 07-29-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread