+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multiple weight rod

Hybrid View

Default Multiple weight rod

I found a Redington Redfly rod that is labeled 5/6, and I'm somewhat confused, I thought rods were line specific. I want to use 6 weight line. What would be the difference in using this one, or just using a 6 weight line on a 5 weight rod I already have? It's a 9 foot, 2-peice, I want to use it to throw some poppers until i can get an 8 weight set up.

In reality most rods will cast two or three line weights reasonably well -- eg, your 5 wt rod can probably cast a 6 wt and 4wt line reasonably. Some rod product lines, like Redfly, have fewer rods models and label rods as multiple weights such as "5/6" but there's nothing really special or unique about those rods.

Also some people say that a difference of one rod wt such as between a 5 wt and 6 wt is pretty negligible and that if you're interested in a heavier rod, you should move up 2 line wts -- eg, from 5 wt to 7 wt.

If I was you, I'd try a 6 wt line on your existing 5 wt rod. You may find that you like the way it a casts better than with a 5 wt line. Then if you still want a heavier rod, go to a 7 or 8 wt.

Usually that designation means a 5 wt double taper line or a 6wt weight forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Usually that designation means a 5 wt double taper line or a 6wt weight forward line.
    In my pointy head that seems backwards.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

why do folks want to believe fly fishing is so ridiculously complicated?

MOST of us are not fly-only anglers... most people come to fly fishing after already fishing with spinning or other tackle.... DWM seems to be one of those- SO,

a fly rod able to cast ONLY one "weight" of line would be analogous to a spinning rod with which you could ONLY cast a 1/4 ounce lure with.... just as an example. Of course there is no spinning rod which would ONLY cast one specific weight of lure. It might cast say, a 3/16 to 3/8 ounce lure BEST, but yes it will absolutely be useable with 1/8 to 1/2 ounce lures too...
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    why do folks want to believe fly fishing is so ridiculously complicated?

MOST of us are not fly-only anglers... most people come to fly fishing after already fishing with spinning or other tackle.... DWM seems to be one of those- SO,

a fly rod able to cast ONLY one "weight" of line would be analogous to a spinning rod with which you could ONLY cast a 1/4 ounce lure with.... just as an example. Of course there is no spinning rod which would ONLY cast one specific weight of lure. It might cast say, a 3/16 to 3/8 ounce lure BEST, but yes it will absolutely be useable with 1/8 to 1/2 ounce lures too...
    This ^^^^^

Wow! It's a fly fishing forum, so I assumed (incorrectly) that it would be alright to ask a question, sorry to bother you. Guess I need to find another group. Why the need to be so condescending, bad day?

Blog Entries

DWM,

As indicated, to answer your question, yes there are multi weighted rods, not actually multi weighted but rated I guess is a better term. Rod weights/rates are a suggestion by the manufacturer as to what they suggest you cast with. The style of your cast, the length of your cast, the weight of the fly (s) you are casting, the normal wind conditions and many other variables all can factor in to the line you really should use. For instance, I use an 11 foot 6 weight Sage XP rod for nymphing on the larger rivers out west. Since I am casting a rather cumbersome fly/split shot/strike indicator arrangement, which means no real long distance casting, so I asked Sage what line they suggested for my rod. They said to use a 7 weight nymphing line. (works really well). I also use an 11 foot Sage Z-Axis 6 weight rod for nymphing. For this rod they suggested a 6 weight Skagit spey line (which also works great).

So, back to your 5/6 rated rod. Many rods have multi rates on them. For rods like that I always figure how I am going to be normally casting it. For shorter casts I would go with a 6 weight rod, to help the rod load up faster on those shorter casts. Loading the rod is important for a good cast. If I figure I will be doing mostly long casts, then I would opt for a 5 weight line. Since you will have may more feet of line out, that line will load the rod very nicely without stressing the rod.

Either way, you will be able to cast and I trust, catch some fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread