+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital fly tying class

Blog Entries

NJ
    Sorta my point. With home equipment, broadband and public systems(Skype, for example), I don't think the quality for what I'm suggesting is quite there yet.

As to watching tying videos on YouTube and other media:
    I taught fly tying at one time. I brought the students up close and demonstrated the pattern. I then had them tie with notes on each step I gave them.
    As I walked around watching them, nearly all had problems with the pattern. Most weren't really following the techniques I showed them. The critique and feedback was more valuable than watching me tie.

If you are already a fairly accomplished tier, the videos may suffice. But if you aren't, or you are trying a technique or material new to you, immediate feedback is very helpful.

As an example, if you watch the ten seconds in this Galloup video from. 7:10 To.7:30 , you will see a tiny technique explained which is quite rare in most videos, but very helpful for a relative beginner. Most videos assume the viewer is already accomplished.
    IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0U_TauQbrU
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-25-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Agreed wholeheartedly, nothing replaces an instructor on site to guide you through technique.

Blog Entries

I believe the "on-site" will soon be achieved, digitally, via improved cameras and improved streaming services for home use.......

AlanB Guest

Byron, when teaching you did one thing that I find essential. When you are doing the demo, get the students away from their vices. If they are sat at their vices they will start before the end of the demo. The other thing I've found is that often you are teaching observation not fly tying.

The cameras are getting there. Have you seen the film I Am Legend with Will Smith? In at one point he is working in his lab and uses a camera attached to his glasses to record his results. It is a real camera, wireless HD video that clips to the leg of your specs. It would enable students to share your view of what you are tying. The down side is the price, about the same as a professional DSLR body. Hopefully the price will drop.

There is another problem that I face just now. The internet connection to the village here is not good. It is scheduled to be upgraded to fibre optic by November next year. It wouldn't matter what equipment I have if I can't stream it over my connection. When I have made videos it can take a while to upload them. Start it first thing in the morning, go fishing, get home, sort my gear, have dinner, tie a few flies and go to bed. Next morning it is about done. Its anoying as the fibre optic cable passes within 100 yards of my home, but no one thought to put in a junction box when it was installed. Just one of the prices we pay for living here.

One day it may all be possible.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Alan ,
    Agree! In the not - too - distant future, but not quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    <snip>
    There is another problem that I face just now. The internet connection to the village here is not good. It is scheduled to be upgraded to fibre optic by November next year. It wouldn't matter what equipment I have if I can't stream it over my connection. When I have made videos it can take a while to upload them. Start it first thing in the morning, go fishing, get home, sort my gear, have dinner, tie a few flies and go to bed. Next morning it is about done. Its anoying as the fibre optic cable passes within 100 yards of my home, but no one thought to put in a junction box when it was installed. Just one of the prices we pay for living here.

One day it may all be possible.

Cheers,
    A.
    Ah well; I wonder if a suitably cable-cleaving accident might get a junction box installed when they do the required polishing and splicing bit to reconnect the fibers.
    Just thinking out loud...

Ed, a toad of mischievous thoughts

AlanB Guest

Tempted Ed, very tempted. The really annoying thing is that the slower connection that I have is more expensive than fibre optic. There is only one connection to the village but a choice of multiple providers. The company that owns the connection provides the service for all the other companies. If you subscribe to any of the other companies your connection speed is reduced. Well at least the fishing is good around here.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Alan,
    Satellite internet service available? Too slow ?
    I am lucky, we have high speed internet here. But, regarding good quality video streaming, it's not just internet speed. It's also high quality video/web cameras and a good streaming service (better than Skype) at present.
    These are elements not generally available to all fly tiers at this time.

AlanB Guest

Ed Satellite is available and is 10x faster than I have now but. 150 ukp to install and 70 ukp per month. Way more than I can afford. Its not as fast as the promised fibre optic, so waiting is the best option, unless I can arrange an accident.

Cheers,
    A.

Skype. Flyfishingtyer
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread