Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; July 28 to August 4, 2014

If I had to pick two weeks of the year that are my favorite for fly fishing, it would be the next two weeks. I know that runs contrary to what many traditionalists believe and profess, but I have never been one to except the status quo, without valid proof.

A common myth believed about this time of year, is that it is too hot to fish. During daylight hours, and under direct sunlight, yes; but in the cool of the evening, or under the moon at night, no. Trout, bass, and panfish; all feed variously after the sun is off the water and insects cloud the shoreline. I agree that some lakes heat up to where fish become sluggish, but spring fed lakes, particularly ones with a good number of feeder springs, do not. Also streams, predominantly freestone streams, produce very well at this time of year. My ace in the hole for these freestone streams is the stonefly. These insects thrive in clean unpolluted water and hatch in prolific abundance at night.

My theory, as to why I find my style of dry fly fishing to be good to excellent, at this time of year is not some farfetched hocus pocus, magic formula. It is based on simple basic piscatology (the science of sport fishing). Fish need to feed daily. The warmer the water gets, the faster a fish?s metabolism will operate. The faster a fish?s metabolism works, is the more a fish will need to feed. Insects need the right combination of both water and air temperature to proliferate; summer evenings are the perfect combination for this proliferation. Lastly air bore fish eating predators go to their roost as evening gives way to night; leaving fish to hunt their prey with abandon.

Yes it is hot out there, and so is the fishing.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. Try working the south west sections of your favorite during the evening through night fall for better success. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, Doc Spratley, or Halfback. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Ibis, Red Spratley, or Kokanee killer.

The bass and pan fish, fishing is good. For bass try: Big Black, Clouser?s Deep Minnow, Lefty?s Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Popin Bug, Foam Frog, Chernobyl Ant, or Stimulator. For Pan fish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Halfback, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Tied Down Minnow, Popin Bug, or Chernobyl Ant.

Our interior lakes are slow to fair. Try: Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, 52 Buick, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp, for fishing wet. For dry fly action try: Lady McConnel, Big Ugly, Black Gnat, Tom Thumb, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is good for spring. Try: Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone.

The Thomson River is good for rainbow. Try: Kaufmann Golden stone, Joe?s Hopper, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Rolled Muddler.