+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil?

Default Polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil?

I am finally at the stage to apply a finish to two bamboo fly rods, but still haven't decided on which one to ultimately use. The rods are a banty and a SB 359-9 that will receive a new reel seat, grip, and guides. A wipe-on polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil seem like the easiest as opposed to a spar urethane. However, what could I utilize to thin a spar varnish to make it a wipe-on to aquire the benefit of UV protection? Any input regarding experience with these types of finishes would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by RJD31 (edited 19 March 2006).]

I am also finishing a bamboo rod. I opted for a Formbys satin. I am not sur of this but I don't believe it is recommended to thin a varish. Someone with more experience can probably answer that. Good Luck.
    Steve

RJD31;
    In the days of wooden masts and spars we would thin spar varnish to create a sealer for new or stripped wood.
    P.S. The boat was fiberglass, I aint that old!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

RJD31
    Here are a couple of formulas for a wipe on varnish from Mike Brooks. He posted this on another board a while back. [url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum:7083e]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum[/url:7083e]
    They may fit the bill.

A formula for an excellent, fast drying (cure time under 1 hour - tack free in 10 minutes) rub on varnish. Mix 1 quart Waterlox Sanding Sealer with 8 ounces turpentine. Add 8 ounces of a good grade of polyurathane (Varmore R10 is excellent, but Daly's Super Spar or Helmsdale will work). Mix well. Decant into a small 2 ounce bottle becasue this will kick almost overnight in a sealed bottle. (so...tape the lid shut with electrical or plastic tape!) Pour the rest back into a tightly capped can and refrigerate. Wet a rag with this mix and wipe down the rod until it starts to tack. Then, wipe it off. This is an off-the-shelf equivalent of Mike's Stuff and works just great.

This other is a classic rubbing varnish formula that dries a bit slower but is wonderful as a finish for reel seat inserts or rods. Mix 1 part each of boiled Tung Oil (contains natural Alkyd resins), turpentine, and plain varnish (Waterlox classic or Epifanes are great here). Cap in a can or jar and allow to set for 24 hours, shaing every so often. Then, use as any wipe on varnish. This yeilds a lovely classic golden "glow". On a wood reel seat insert, spun on a lathe, it will dry in no time at all and is just about the toughest stuff you will ever use.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

RJD,
    What color wraps were on that SB 359-9 originally?
    I'm working on one myself.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

use the tru-oil. it is a natuaral base product that bonds to itself well without sanding between coats. don't worry about the UV stuff, it is a non issue in actual use. you can apply a natural or poly varnish, either exterior or interior, over the base of true oil without compatability problems
    splinter

+ Reply to Thread