+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly lines, price VS quality.

Fly lines .... they are kind of like belly buttons most folks have one or more.

I tend to be normally a frugal shopper. My normal thing is to wait until they clear out lines at the end of the season if I need to get a new one.

I have a couple of Orvis Wonderlines and they make me wonder why folks like them.

I am a big fan of the Cortland Peach 444.

Last year I've had this rod I built years ago but could never find a line it liked and my go to 5wt rod busted a guide loose as the varnish failed after 30 years.

Supposedly it was a 3wt but I tried everything I had from 2 to 5wt and nothing worked. A friend recommended Dorber he AQUANOVA and I decided to try a 6wt and ordered it. Best decision I made as that is really a nice line and made the rod come alive.

This fly line is made in Canada http://www.flyline.net/about-us/index.html

I did get a couple of really cheap $8 fly lines when I ordered some new blanks from China and I gave a couple of them to my picky son #2 to try.

I'd add that one of the sites I frequent has a Classified section where there is a constant stream of lines for sale, usually only used once or twice. I have bought and sold several lines there and I've never gotten a bad line. I like to have several lines around to experiment with on different rods and when a good line comes up on the board for $25-35 and one in a size and name I haven't tried I'll usually grab it up. If I like it I may then sell and almost new line I had for someone else to check out. A good system for buying top quality lines at big markdowns. One seller on there has a deal with some line companies to try their products on the rods he builds and he often sells lines that have only been lawn cast a few times.

BR,

Sorry I was late to the party. Let me tell you about my experience with fly lines, since I got into flyfishing in 2011. I bought a mass-produced 5/6wt kit similar to the one you did, and it came with level-taper line that was absolutely worthless. I replaced it with $12 weight-forward 6wt line from the local Walmart and that made a tremendous improvement. Although my casting improved immediately, I still couldn't figure out how to shoot line, or at least not very much. Later experience would show that this was more due to the rod guides than to the line. I still use this line on my old department store rod as a backup outfit, and sometimes just to remember old times when I was learning to cast.

As my skills and interest grew, I splurged on a $50 store-brand line with a color demarkation at 30' and a welded loop, marketed for trout fishing. I could not have been happier with this line, and it progressed with me as I bought first a better reel and then a more expensive rod. During my first year and a half of flyfishing however, most of my casting was on grass, and I was practicing 3-5 times a week for 30 or more minutes. That's thousands and thousands of casts, mostly at my maximum range, and the line has cracked completely around near the welded loop. About 1/8" of braided nylon is showing where the cracked line coating has come off, but the loop still holds. I now only use this line for practice.

Meanwhile, I bought a clearance 4wt outfit from St. Croix that came with a budget-model reel and a budget flyline. I wish I knew what it was, because it casts great and performs as well as any of the other lines I've used. Maybe it's the rod, who knows. It doesn't have the welded loop or the color changing transition, but otherwise I love it. The entire outfit was $80 (half-off clearance), so I'm guessing the line was what might otherwise sell in the $20 range.

Not too long after buying the St. Croix, I also bought an expensive $80 name-brand line marketed for Smallmouth bass fishing with my 6wt outfit. This line also has the color change and the welded loop. On the whole, this has been a disappointment. I think the line can cast larger flies than my cracked trout line, but the difference is hardly noticeable. The tip of the smallmouth line sinks worse than any of the other lines, although they all sink to some degree. I've found myself using my 4wt instead of my 6wt outfit just because the setup is so much easier to cast, shoot line, roll cast, etc.

To summarize, I have enjoyed my store brand mid-priced line more than any of the others, although I wore it out with very little fishing because of my heavy casting practice. I was most dissappointed with my expensive $80 specialty line, although I do still use it. The big surprise was the budget line that came with my St. Croix outfit, although it may be the rod is that great and results with any line would be similar.

What would I recommend for you? Replace whatever line came on your Eagle Claw with a budget-priced line if features don't matter to you. If you like knowing when you are at 30' and want a welded loop to change leaders, store brands can be comparable to the more expensive lines and cost a fair amount less. High-end lines may not be a panaccea, but I'm sure they aren't all bad either. Know that casting on grass can damage the coating on a flyline, and getting a budget line and reel is not a bad idea if you will be practicing much. As some have said, don't be afraid to keep that Eagle Claw, it's probably a very underrated rod.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my 6wt rod is not a St. Croix (I don't want to badmouth the brand, it may be me). I have NO COMPLAINTS regarding my 4wt St. Croix, and would recommend it to anyone, if it weren't discontinued 2 years ago. I can't speak for other St. Croix models. This edit is in response to AnlgerDave's helpful tips.
    Last edited by waskeyc; 07-29-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Clarify that 6wt is NOT St. Croix
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Sorry for not getting back sooner, went back to the over the road trucking thing & didnt get in last weekend, the things we do for money....

Anywho, big thanks for the big turn out, never expected 3 pages of input, but would bet my paycheck on every word of it being true & honest, think I'll stick with a middle of the road line for now, as bad as my casting skills are spending the extra cash aint gonna make a differnce. (HA !!)

Quote Originally Posted by waskeyc View Post
    BR,

Sorry I was late to the party. Let me tell you about my experience with fly lines, since I got into flyfishing in 2011. I bought a mass-produced 5/6wt kit similar to the one you did, and it came with level-taper line that was absolutely worthless. I replaced it with $12 weight-forward 6wt line from the local Walmart and that made a tremendous improvement. Although my casting improved immediately, I still couldn't figure out how to shoot line, or at least not very much. Later experience would show that this was more due to the rod guides than to the line. I still use this line on my old department store rod as a backup outfit, and sometimes just to remember old times when I was learning to cast.

As my skills and interest grew, I splurged on a $50 store-brand line with a color demarkation at 30' and a welded loop, marketed for trout fishing. I could not have been happier with this line, and it progressed with me as I bought first a better reel and then a more expensive rod. During my first year and a half of flyfishing however, most of my casting was on grass, and I was practicing 3-5 times a week for 30 or more minutes. That's thousands and thousands of casts, mostly at my maximum range, and the line has cracked completely around near the welded loop. About 1/8" of braided nylon is showing where the cracked line coating has come off, but the loop still holds. I now only use this line for practice.

Meanwhile, I bought a clearance 4wt outfit from St. Croix that came with a budget-model reel and a budget flyline. I wish I knew what it was, because it casts great and performs as well as any of the other lines I've used. Maybe it's the rod, who knows. It doesn't have the welded loop or the color changing transition, but otherwise I love it. The entire outfit was $80 (half-off clearance), so I'm guessing the line was what might otherwise sell in the $20 range.

Not too long after buying the St. Croix, I also bought an expensive $80 name-brand line marketed for Smallmouth bass fishing with my 6wt outfit. This line also has the color change and the welded loop. On the whole, this has been a disappointment. I think the line can cast larger flies than my cracked trout line, but the difference is hardly noticeable. The tip of the smallmouth line sinks worse than any of the other lines, although they all sink to some degree. I've found myself using my 4wt instead of my 6wt outfit just because the setup is so much easier to cast, shoot line, roll cast, etc.

To summarize, I have enjoyed my store brand mid-priced line more than any of the others, although I wore it out with very little fishing because of my heavy casting practice. I was most dissappointed with my expensive $80 specialty line, although I do still use it. The big surprise was the budget line that came with my St. Croix outfit, although it may be the rod is that great and results with any line would be similar.

What would I recommend for you? Replace whatever line came on your Eagle Claw with a budget-priced line if features don't matter to you. If you like knowing when you are at 30' and want a welded loop to change leaders, store brands can be comparable to the more expensive lines and cost a fair amount less. High-end lines may not be a panaccea, but I'm sure they aren't all bad either. Know that casting on grass can damage the coating on a flyline, and getting a budget line and reel is not a bad idea if you will be practicing much. As some have said, don't be afraid to keep that Eagle Claw, it's probably a very underrated rod.
    Just a couple of thoughts.

1. The $50 line that is now cracked behind the welded loop. You could always cut that off and either make a new loop, there are plenty of tutorials on the net on how to do this, or just cut the loop of off your leader and nail knot it directly to the fly line.

2. As far as that Rio Smallmouth line not casting well on your rod. It could be that it's not properly matched to your rod. I don't know what St Croix rod you bought, but I have a handfull of them from Legend Elites, down to a couple of Imperial 4wts and some lines work better on them than others. That Rio line has a 200 grain head weight which as you noted is designed to cast larger flies. Most of the folks I know who use that line are using it on a faster action type fly rod.

3. With regards to you tip sinking. All line tips, sooner or later will sink. Just put some line/leader past on it when it does and make sure you clean you line after each use.

Hopefully this may or may not help.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Just to continue the thought ....

I've never had a fly line of any brand that that the tip end would not be sinking after some use. The solution as already posted is (#1) line cleaning (#2) line dressing. I know there are many, many fly line dressings available today and no doubt many variations used my members of this board, but let me say that I came across one some time back (I think at a fly shop) that has worked so well ... brand name is Accardo - which I know will cure the fly line tip sinking.

I keep my fly lines cleaned with line dressing applied, and I get long life out of them.
    Last edited by DaleW; 07-29-2014 at 02:13 PM.

I have spent a lot and a little, and the only commonality is that the tips sink. Even with "properly" dressed line, after a relatively short period of time, the tips sink.

My advice? Spending less is better. Buy on sale, or buy cheap.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

At one time the Cortland 333 was the top-of-the-line. Now it's considered an inexpensive decent line. Get what you can afford comfortably and you'll be fine. Oh, Cortland manufacturers lines for many companies which is then sold under that company's name. Also, be very careful with any line treatments. Best way to clean line is simply some gentle dish soap in warm water. Wash, rinse thoroughly, and air dry completely.

Being fairly new to this addictive habit, compared to others on here, my best experience has been with RIO Gold and Perception. Have tried the ORVIS Wonderlines as stated above, and I agree with that poster, it is just a fly line that works. Tried SA lines, tried discontinued, "named but not named" fly lines from the Somerset fly fishing shows, and nothing I have ever used, comes close to the RIO lines. I have a very close friend, who has plenty of money to spend, but is so tight that he separates two ply toilet paper........not exaggerating........he is a TIGHTWAD!!! Well when I took my new rods down to his house for him to try and cast, he was absolutely amazed at how much his casting improved, increased distance, better loops etc., even on the low end rods that he had, that he immediately replaced the lines on his primary rods with the RIO Perception or RIO GOLD lines. Now this was not something that happened in a few minutes, it took about 3-4 hours of exchanging reels, trying other lines, SA"s, ORVIS, Cortland 555, Unknown brands etc. There was absolutely no denying the improvements......he was converted. I myself will be a loyal RIO customer forever..........best stuff that I have used.

I have purchased lines from $10 to $99 and while the more costly lines are almost always a notably better line, they are not worth the extra money for most of my fishing. I will generally load up on closeout lines at the end of the season. In addition, I have had good success with lines purchased from Hook & Hackle and Old Tyme Fly Fishing. I especially favor Old Tyme Fly Fishing's Magalloway floating lines, but the lines are DT which is not to everyone's liking.

+ Reply to Thread