+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly lines, price VS quality.

Don't think I've spent more than $30-35 (usually less) for a fly line in years (except for a Teeny TS I wanted for some heavy saltwater stuff) and haven't had any problems. The Airflow WF6 I just replaced lasted 7 years and would have gone longer if I hadn't stepped on it so many times with studded boots. Only really bad line I've ever had was a Cortland Laser Line; absolute POS - stiff (wish my computer had that much memory) and worthless in cold water (possibly it was meant to be cast on an active lava flow?).
    Keep your line clean (I like Glide) and it'll fly through the guides just like in the movies.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 07-21-2014 at 10:29 PM.

I have been using Dorber lines for the past few years.
    They were at SowBug and a few of my friends recommended them.
    Love the lines. They are about $13.00.

Rick

I'd certainly say you typically get what you pay for with fly line, but there are good fly lines out there for cheap.

I just recently tried a few RIO fly lines and I love them but they are a little bit on the pricey side of things. Before using RIO lines, I'd gone thru several Cabela's lines. For $20 I suppose they are alright but there are better =<$20 lines out there. I picked up a fly line from Risen Fly that I've been fairly impressed with ($25 but they frequently have sales, so I paid $15 for it).

I also received a combo from Cabela's that had Cortland 444 Sylk fly line on it. I was not impressed. It hardly floats, it's casting is so-so, it's worthless in cold weather, definitely not what I expected from a $50+ line.

I'll second the Dorber line. Pretty good line for $13. I got some at the Sowbug several years ago. Also got a pretty nice little reel for not too much money.

The Dorber lines are made by Northern Sport in Ontario. I have one that I bought in 1984 that still doesn't have a crack.
    In fact, all of my last 9 or 10 lines that I've purchased were all in the $10 range and I've only worn out one of them.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Agree with most of what has been said, especially about the price of lines getting out of hand. Odds are good manufacturers like Rio, which makes a very good line, are going to price themselves right out business. Eventually lines made overseas will flood the market (there are already a few out there) and we will then have threads complaining about how there are fly lines are no longer 'made in America'. While I buy Rio lines almost exclusively, the price point is now high enough that I'm going to probably give Dorber, Allen, and all the other up and coming line resellers a serious look.

Dorber has been selling line for years. Tried some at one point and haven't bought any since.

I doubt that Rio, SA or Cortland will price themselves out of the business. They've been around a long time. Walk into any fly shop, or big box store and whose line do you see. If cheap fly lines were just as good as the higher priced quality fly lines, who do you think fly shops and the bbs would carry?

And remember that all three carry lines at different price points to appeal to the budget of most fly anglers. And no I am not a rep for any of those companies.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Count me in as a fan of Cortland 444 also, but I will usually only pay that kind of money for the rigs I will be using for distance casting. On all my small stream and creek rigs, I buy as cheap as I can find since distance isn't a concern and they seem to work perfectly for those fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    ...If cheap fly lines were just as good as the higher priced quality fly lines, who do you think fly shops and the bbs would carry?
    The one that makes them the most money !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I used a Cortland 444 peach on the San Juan. Tip kept sinking. Fellow in boat said try mine. Rio Gold. No more sinking tip. I am now a big Rio fan. Not a scientific study for sure....but that was my experience. I also have a ton of Dorber fly lines. Can't say why...but I do not like them at all. just an opinion.
    I have not had enough experience to compare SA and others.

BTW to shed more light on that experience. I was with a guide in a drift boat. I used his reel with the Rio Gold line the rest of the day.....all day....and totally forgot about the sinking tip fly line issue. It just uh....went away. Just enjoyed fishing the rest of the day. Instead of pulling in my fly line, cleaning it, dressing it, back to fishing only to be good for a little while and then line sinks again. The Rio Gold did not sink tip the rest of the entire day.
    Last edited by Whitewolf; 08-02-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added info

+ Reply to Thread