+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Big Stick!

Default The Big Stick!

Well I'm finally getting to building the "Big Stick" - a Fenwick Fenglass 11/12 weight. This rod is for throwing fast sinking lines for big cow stripers that hunker deep. I am hanging a Fenwick F912 on it. No anti-reverse, no large arbor. An old fashioned, knuckle-busting, glass saltwater rod that I expect to outlive me. Here's the layout: Gimble equipped fighting butt with removable rubber mushroom cap, anodized aluminum up-locking reel seat, EVA grip-ends for and aft of a short 6" full-wells cork grip. Once I get these mounted I will decide whether I want a fore-grip or not. In this picture the cork grip is actually placed on top of the blank since I haven't reemed it out yet.
    Please post some feedback and let me know what you think of this layout. Once I get these components settled we can talk guides... I'm leaning toward REC recoils.. Thanks! Alec

The Big Stick!

I like the looks of that rod Alec
    I didn't know they had fenglass that heavy

Maybe we will run into each other sometime.
    A couple of times a year we fish the Herring River spillway on Cheq'Neck Rd and a few other spots in your area
    What a place to live!
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for the feedback Dudley - it's an old blank from the 70's that I picked up - a real brute. The butt section is about .745" ! I fish the dike quite a bit - see you there sometime! Cheers, Alec

We used wafers of that evasote stuff alternated with cork wafers near the center of a grip on a 12wt and a 10wt we use. Did it to have differing "crushness" in the grip for non-slip with sweaty hands. I think it works. Some days we like it and others we ain't so sure.....? But then again, ain't most of our stuff like that, yes AND no.
    ....lee s.
    PS - Nice looking set up.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 18 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread