+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Split Thread Dubbing Loop

Hybrid View

Default Split Thread Dubbing Loop

Watched many videos, mostly by Hans W. where he splits a thread to create a loop in which to place dubbing. Then he spins the thread to lock in the material prior to wrapping it around the shank. I understand that he uses thread that is fibrous rather then bonded. My question:
    Maybe it's my eyes, but is there a trick to splitting so fine of a thread? I mean, I think he's using 12/0 thread and I'm having a great deal of difficulty with 6/0! Any suggestions appreciated.

Allan

Allan,

I either run the thread between my index finger/thumbnail to flatten it a bit, or make sure all the twist is out and hang it over a bodkin, then insert a needle. Works fine on thread down to 10/0, 70 denier, etc.

Regards,
    Scott

Hareline announced yesterday, that they will be distributing this thread splitter from Stonfo:

http://www.stonfo.it/site/product/635?parent_section_id=4&category_id=187

In case that link...to Italy, causes problemos

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 07-18-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

AlanB Guest

Hi Allan,

First use a sewing machine needle as the splitting needle (easy enough to make). They are designed to go through threads without damaging them.

To split the thread let the twist out then place the index finder nail of your non dominant hand behind the thread and push it toward yourself. Run your finger nail up and down the thread. The thread will start to spread over your nail. With UTC 70 you can have a target of up to 1/8" by doing this. That's how I do it, and I know is also how Hans does it.

Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The thread will start to spread over your nail. With UTC 70 you can have a target of up to 1/8" by doing this.
    There are times when the flossy nature of UTC 70 drives me crazy, but it's perfect for this application; MFC 8/0 works great, too, for small flies and Danville 6/0 (another 70 denier thread) is fantastic, as well. I like UTC 140 or Danville flat-wax for plus-sized flies.

Regards,
    Scott

I just started to do this. Found that if I spin the bobbin counter clockwise that the thread splits easier fro me.
    Hans also put a video link on her about using split thread and how he does it.
    For some reason the link will not copy for me. Did on 10-11-13 here in the fly tying archives.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Z; 07-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Hi Allan:

I use Danville 6/0 and spin it counter clock wise to flatten the thread and then use a Sewing needle to split it. Speaking of eye sight, my eyes changesd and I use to use a magnifier on my head if you remeber. Now I just take my glasses off and sit sown and tye flies. Kind of crazy but I see the hook and wraps just fine.

+ Reply to Thread