Mart, Have been doing that for years. That isn't why I don't want the waxed. I want the choice, I don't blether wax all over the place when it isn't needed. Wax has its uses, when needed I'll add it to the part of the fly that needs it. The rest of the time I'd rather not have it. Years ago Uni was my primary thread, but I changed to UTC for a different reason, I like the vibrancy of the colour, which makes Uni look washed out by comparison.

For a while I had access to Guttermann's Scala thread on 15000 meter spools. However, the supply was irregular, and some time ago I moves away from the supplier. Since then I've not been in a position to put in an order for the kind of quantities I would need to to order it from Guttermann. When I used Scala I realised that the major cost elements in fly tying thread are the spool and putting it on the spool. The standard Scala is finer than Uni 8/0 while being stronger than Uni 6/0. There is a finer version as well. Its spun rather than braided, so splits easily. The range of colours puts fly tying threads to shame. Its available is something like 12000 different shades. If that isn't enough Guttermann will custom dye it, if you order enough. Compared to buying Uni it costs about 1/25th of the price. And it is unwaxed.

Thinking about the thread splitter from Stonfo, that would work well with Uni with the method you mention. Though I doubt I'll purchase one. It is a tool to do something I can do with a tool I already have. Keeping the number of tools down is more efficient. Though I am impressed by it as a piece of engineering.

Cheers,
A.