+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting post by Davie McPhail on Facebook

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Interesting post by Davie McPhail on Facebook

McPhail is a really great tier and teacher. Been watching his videos for several years. Really admire his skills.

Interestingly, he posted on Facebook that he will now be tying with a Regal vise in his demo's.

He ordinarily ties on a LAW vise. He said he thought he should tie on a vise which is available to most tiers.

Sorta interesting decision, I thought.

I guess it is because the LAW takes away from the tying techniques he presents as he reports that the most often asked question is "What vise is that?".. .......

Blog Entries

Interesting to me because of all the vises better than Regal to choose from. In my opinion the Regals would not come close to being selected.

There are very few vices I have not owned (LAW being one of them) and far fewer I have not tied on. I still own a fair assortment of brands and models.

Blog Entries

I don't think he was choosing the "best" vise. Just one most were familiar with and would concentrate more on the fly than the vise. I think that was the point of his switch.

I have a Regal...wouldn't change it for the world.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

What's is a vice for but to hold a hook securely.

Wow, that is very surprising to me... I have been following Davie on YouTube for years. At one time he and I discussed vises and he encouraged me to buy a LAW vise and I am happy that I did..... To each his own, things change.... Davie is the best fly tier I know of....
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

AlanB Guest

I tend to agree with Billy. I also wonder why it is people ask, "What vice is that?" Quite often, I suspect, it is that they think that by getting the same tools they can magically acquire the same skills. It truth it makes little difference. If you are looking at the vice when watching a demonstration or video, you are looking at the wrong thing. Teaching fly tying has taught me that observation isn't a common skill.

When I teach a course, using vices I provide, no two vices are the same. This is deliberate, done to give the students experience of different vices, at each class everyone uses a different vice (including me). The least they learn from this is that they don't like a particular vice. It helps them make an informed decision when they buy their own.

Charlie Jardene made a similar post recently, though he settled on the Petitjean vice.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread