+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It may be an over-gneralization, BUT......

Blog Entries

Default It may be an over-gneralization, BUT......

I have found that fly fishers are most often very kind and congenial people. Perhaps more so than the general population. At least that is my experience.

One afternoon/evening, my son and I were having a cold drink on the patio of a new little bar/restaurant on the Madison just a few miles upstream from the West Fork and Hutchin's Bridge.

We struck up a conversation with a lady there who's power had been lost and was there to pick up a sandwich.

In the conversation, she mentioned she had a "place" up the river and invited us to come there and try the fishing. Turns out, she has a very large, nice home on the Madison.

Out of an abundance of caution, I deleted photos and specific site references.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-15-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Beautiful view! It's great to be able to meet other fly fishers and what a awesome place to live. Looks like another fly fisherman was having an enjoyable day on the river also.

Ronnie

AlanB Guest

It always pays to take the position of your "generalisation". Given the chance to be people often will be very pleasant.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

The somewhat disturbing thing, to me, is that cattle are allowed access to the stream bed.

If you look at the upper left portion of the picture, you will see cattle grazing with open access to the stream bed.....

AlanB Guest

I've been looking at your photo there Byron trying to work out why it feels so wrong to me. I don't mean wrong in any absolute sense just it struck me that there is something very strange about it to my eye. Then I realised the river isn't in a valley. We don't have wide flat planes like that, especially not with rivers crossing them.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

AlanB,
    The Madison is formed by the confluence of two rivers at Madison Junction in Yellowstone Park.
    It flows out and into Hebgen Lake and then through Quake Lake (formed by a 1959 earthquake) and then on for over 150 miles to eventually meet up with two other great rivers at Three Forks where they become the Missouri River.
    The area in the photo might be considered high plains which the beautiful river traverses until reaching Enis Lake and then beyond, to Three Forks.

The generalization hold true most times. But try to use a red and white bobber as a strike indicator, or keep a fish on a stream where it's legal, but the FFers don't want you to, and hoooo-boy!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

I hear you on that Mao.
    I have a wonderful friend I fish with. He's the nicest guy you'd want to meet .......unless you were to fish a nymph on The Ranch of the Henry 's Fork.....LOL
    Still, about his only flaw......

Nice pictures, good story. BUT:

If I were the person that lived there, I would NOT want pics of my house and directions to get there posted on the web.

Byron -

I met an elderly man and his wife here in Montana a few years ago that was somewhat like your encounter with that woman on the Madison. He was very unpretentious, and I remember that he wore a plaid flannel shirt with a tattered collar. He invited me to his home to see what he called some old wagons stored in his barn.

However, I soon learned that this wasn't just any old man with old wagons stored in a barn. He had a 29,000 acre ranch that included a lake with very large rainbow trout, and those "old wagons" were used by his grandfather in an historic cattle drive from Texas to Montana.

+ Reply to Thread