+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Shoes or sandals?

Hybrid View

Question Water Shoes or sandals?

I need something to wear while wet wading. I'm not as concerned about falling as the stream I normally fish is not really slick. I think I like the looks of some of the sandals I've seen. Especially those that have covering over the toes. It seems to me that sandals would be much lighter in weight but I've never owned a pair and was wondering what you guys might think? So, what or which do you prefer? Oh, and by the way, which ever I buy I am on a very tight budget as I am financially embarrassed

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

If slipping is not an issue, I'm a old tennis shoes kind of a guy. I still have shoes from several years back when my knees would allow me to jog that I use for cutting the grass and fishing, etc.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jason,

Sandals will work but you will have to put up with sand and stones getting in them which will need removed quite often while fishing.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've actually got some booties that I use with my felt sole wading boots that work great, but I have to hike a pretty long way to get to the creek. I'm afraid it'll tear up the felt soles or worse the boots themselves. I'm really getting interested in some small stream fishing and it takes quite a bit of hiking to get there.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I used to use old tennis shoes, but I bought a pair of Columbia "Drainmaker II" water/boating/wear anywhere shoes this year and I absolutely love 'em. Traction is fantastic, and they dry very quickly on top of being lightweight and comfortable enough to walk around in all day. Caught them on sale at the website for $60 or so, but I saw them in the Columbia outlet store when we were in Pigeon Forge in May for $39. I would highly recommend them if this is in your price range. I don't work for or have any interest in Columbia, just a very happy customer.

I have used sandals in the past and didn't like it a bit. Constant gravel/sand problems.

Blog Entries

hNt,

For wet wading I wear a pair of Simms wading sandals. I thought I would look up a link for you but I now see that again I am a dinosaur, they don't make my style anymore. Mine have Velcro straps but now they use a lace system. Anyway, they work great. I bought mine because they did have the toe guard and I really hate stubbing my toes.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Anything made by KEEN is what I live in when it is warm out! They're awesome.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

I have both, sandals drain better tennis shoes dont fill with rocks
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I've used tennis shoes, sandals and water shoes for wet wading. If you have to hike a little ways, I'd recommend a sturdy pair of tennis shoes. Sandals and water shoes (imo) aren't ideal for moving any amount of distance.

Since you stated that it is a long hike in, I have to assume you will be pretty much alone in the small creeks, so, why not have a pair of hiking shoes of some sort plus something to wade the water in. Once you have hiked in, remove hiking shoes and hide them and put on whatever you want to wade in and when finished fishing, put hiking shoes back on and hike out. Just a thought....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread