I tend to agree with you lastchance. When I came across these "Uni-Body" leaders a while ago, by Gary Borger I did get some of the Maxiam Clear to try it out. Then I used Stern and the cheapy stuff like Zebco mono and I really didn't notice any significance difference as far how the leader performed or breakage problems. Now granted I fish for bass and panfish here, no trout waters, so the leader construction may not need to be as critical as say setting up dry leaders for spooky trout. I usually throw streamers, leeches and top water poppers. Gary son Jason Borger has a nice article on leaders here http://fishfliesandwater.com/gear-ri...ers-for-trout/ with some excellent leader setups. I did contact him a while back to see what he used compared to his Dad's Uni-Body leader. He said he's used Orvis, Rio and Cortland leader material also with good success.

So I guess it comes down to personal preferences, where and what your fishing for, and other various conditions. But I've been using this Uni-Body leader basic construction for allot of leaders then varying the tippet(s) length and sizes. I use mainly 5 & 6wt WF lines & 8.5' and 9.0' rods.

Just my $0.02 cents worth

Mike