+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for so much support on my Pike adventure coming in a couple weeks. I've got another problem. I bought some 6W fly line last year, and they put a loop at the end of it. I'm not sure how to tie to that, so I just did a nail knot. I think I'm missing the boat. Do you connect on it like you would a strike indicator? How does it work tying the main leader to the fly line? Anyone have any experience?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Blog Entries

Since you have a loop on the end of your fly line, tie a loop on the butt end of your leader, best knot to tie is the Perfection Loop, but the material is so strong that most any loop type knot will work, but you should use a Perfection Loop. Here is a link on how to tie said:
    http://www.proknot.com/html/perfection_loop.html

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Since you have a loop on the end of your fly line, tie a loop on the butt end of your leader, best knot to tie is the Perfection Loop, but the material is so strong that most any loop type knot will work, but you should use a Perfection Loop. Here is a link on how to tie said:
    http://www.proknot.com/html/perfection_loop.html

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Excellent, so after tying that loop, do you just press the loop of the butt end through the fly line loop and pull your leader material through the loop? I guess I'm worried about connection strength.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Once you have made a loop in the butt end of your leader, you pass this loop over the loop at the end of your fly line and then take the tippet end of your leader and pass it through the fly line loop. This will give you what is called a "handshake loop".
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

image.jpg like this one
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Do like Warren said. Many years ago, I used to do it the other way, pass the fly line loop thru the leader loop then un the tippet end thru the leader loop. That made for a very lousy looking connection. It finally dawned on me one day when I was out fishing to do it the other way, much better and by the way, there is not a strength problem with that connection. A lot of other things (tippet/leader/fly rod tip) will break before that connection lets go.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks for the help, everyone. Had my 8 lb. fluoro come unbuttoned at the loop (perfection knot) one time. Switched to 15 lb. mono, never had the problem again.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

+ Reply to Thread