+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching hands for casting

Several years ago at a MIFI, Castwell taught me to cast passably in about 5 or 10 minutes. I was the demo subject and he used the method which appeared in one
    of his articles on casting. The article was only a page or two. These two might be right:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/arti.../cst072808.php

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/arti.../cst080408.php

It is not rocket science. It might help to have a competent caster watch you and correct any mistakes before they become bad habits.

Regards,
    Ed

I think it's important to cast with both hands. First, it gives both arms - shoulders, elbows - a chance to rest. Second, if you fish small streams a large part of the stream will now be open to you that wasn't open before.

I live in NYC, so I went to a handball court and practiced throwing a ball left-handed. Also, when I wash dishes or clean my floors a I also do them left-handed.

Randy

I had a rotator cuff problem in my right shoulder a couple of years ago, so I switched hands, and converted my reels to right hand retrieve. Casting was not a problem. I relearned very quickly. The wheels came off, however when playing a fish, or mending line. Both seemed very clumsy, and I lost a lot of fish right at the net. Shoulder is better now, so U'm back to normal.

Note to Hickoryshad. If you let that rotator cuff problem go too far, it may become unfixable.

It is always a good idea to practice a liile each outing with your off hand.

When that pesky wind is blowing it can help to switch hands to the downwind side so don't keep getting smacked with an errant fly.

I am right handed in my casting, but I also can cast left handed....

Sometimes the wind is coming from the right hand side, and sometimes the wind comes from the left.,,

In both cases, I just switch my casting according to the direction of the wind...

Then there is the times when the wind is blowing toward your position, and other times when the wind in coming from behind you, in those two situation, to side arm your cast to get below the wind...

Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I'm really glad this thread came up. I never gave a moments thought to casting left handed. I'll be sure and try it some from now on, just in case. I can only imagine how bad my tangles, wind knots, and casting disasters will be!

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

hungNtree
    I was casting left handed when I was 13 by neccesity because I was paddling with the other hand. It's not that hard to do.

Blog Entries

Just remember to start with very short casts to get the timing down then slowly add a foot or three to the cast, do that for a while and add a little more.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks Flyfisher7......I really do intend to get it fixed after this years trip. Have been under a doctor's care for it, so it has been monitored. I know that I have put it off long enough.

Thanks to all! Great ideas and thoughts. I'll try them on my next forays.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread