+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting piece on articulated nymphs

Default Interesting piece on articulated nymphs

Gink+gasoline had this on line, be sure to check out the videos of the actual nymph swimming.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/articulated-nymphs-all-hype-or-the-real-deal/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

What the author seems to miss or conveniently forget is why articulated streamers are popular. Of course they have considerable action but articulation also allows the tier to create larger patterns and still use short shanked hooks -- a distinct advantage when compare to the classic streamers tied on 8XL or longer hooks.

Have tried articulation on nymphs and it is hardly a magic bullet. They are no more effective than any other pattern and considering that they take longer to tie, I will generally have a few in my box, but would rather fish conventional patterns that are more easily replaced. YMMV.

There some other ways to get motion in nymphs without messing with articulated bodies.

Henry Ramsay in his book "Matching Major Eastern Hatches" shows an Isonychia nymph that is tied on short shank hook with a long marabou tail / extended abdomen.

At the inspiration of JohnScott (who used to be a regular here, but hasn't been around for a while), I started tying furled extended body ("FEB") nymphs. It was kind of the same concept as Ramsay's ... Short shank hook with the thorax and longer extended abdomen / tail. John had a method for incorporating tails into the extended body, but I could never get that to work consistently. So I just omit the tail and furl a piece of yarn for the abdomen. I really like the furled nymphs. They seem to have enough body to hold their form, but still have a nice wiggle. Here's an Isonycia nymph tied in this style that has worked very well for me.

P9080002-001.JPG

+ Reply to Thread