As for me, having LITTLE time and even less talent, I've just sent off my fly tying stuff ( Renzetti vise- NEW, tools, some feathers, deer hair ,pheasant cape, thread, hooks beads, CD's
etc.). to my friend in California. The total value/I spent of my "gift" may be about $700.00/ $1000.00. The "time and talent" aspect caused me to reevaluate my investment and cut my losses . My friend, a non tyer ( previously) and an almost retired PE at 75, had just attended a wine tasting/fly tying clinic in Carmel CA and was smitten, and since my stuff was gathering dust....................
WE do meet in Wyoming every September October and I will expect a whole bunch of "bait" ( and some GREAT squeezins) at our next meet.
The flies I usually buy at retail outlets ( not internet) range $ 0.95 to $ 2.00, and at those prices, factoring in my age( time left) and my fishing time, economy dictates.
I do/did wish I could have gotten into tying , but, priorities trumped all that. I also envy you, those who can tie those almost lifelike specimens for mere pennies :>)

Mark