+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Prices goiug up

Default Fly Prices goiug up

According to Davy Wotton

http://flyfishingark...ts#.U7heCRYR9UM

Rick

I knew there was going to be a reason for all that material I have bought over the years.

$3.00 for a Hare's Ear? I really feel for folks who have to buy flies, especially ones that are supposed to be fished in/amongst the rocks where the bugs live. Going to be a lot more people getting soaked, literally, trying to retrieve snagged nymphs; I can see sales of 2x tippet going through the roof, too.

Regards,
    Scott

Makes an average trip pretty expensive. I had an acquaintance who lived across the street from a golf course. He made pretty good money selling the golf balls back to the golfers. Some enterprising kids could be retrieving all of our flies right now...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    Makes an average trip pretty expensive. I had an acquaintance who lived across the street from a golf course. He made pretty good money selling the golf balls back to the golfers. Some enterprising kids could be retrieving all of our flies right now...
    There is more than one old box spring anchored in a good Alaskan salmon hole just fishing for lures...

Watch out...pretty soon the "tying flies isn't cheaper" crowd will chime in. It's totally cheaper if you control materials cost by shopping around or getting your own.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

As for me, having LITTLE time and even less talent, I've just sent off my fly tying stuff ( Renzetti vise- NEW, tools, some feathers, deer hair ,pheasant cape, thread, hooks beads, CD's
    etc.). to my friend in California. The total value/I spent of my "gift" may be about $700.00/ $1000.00. The "time and talent" aspect caused me to reevaluate my investment and cut my losses . My friend, a non tyer ( previously) and an almost retired PE at 75, had just attended a wine tasting/fly tying clinic in Carmel CA and was smitten, and since my stuff was gathering dust....................
    WE do meet in Wyoming every September October and I will expect a whole bunch of "bait" ( and some GREAT squeezins) at our next meet.
    The flies I usually buy at retail outlets ( not internet) range $ 0.95 to $ 2.00, and at those prices, factoring in my age( time left) and my fishing time, economy dictates.
    I do/did wish I could have gotten into tying , but, priorities trumped all that. I also envy you, those who can tie those almost lifelike specimens for mere pennies :>)

Mark

+ Reply to Thread