+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing Core From Fly Line

I've actually done his and it works fairly well. Soak the line in fingernail polish remover. Acetone I think is the chemical name. Anyway then you will have to trim a little of the line back to expose the core. A pair of needle nose vice grips on the exposed core and pull. When I did it I found that cutting the line into about one inch long pieces worked much better. I use them for strike indicators. They are small but I found that casting with these are much easier than other indicators that I've tried.

Hope that helps,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Default Strike Indicators

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I've actually done his and it works fairly well. Soak the line in fingernail polish remover. Acetone I think is the chemical name. Anyway then you will have to trim a little of the line back to expose the core. A pair of needle nose vice grips on the exposed core and pull. When I did it I found that cutting the line into about one inch long pieces worked much better. I use them for strike indicators. They are small but I found that casting with these are much easier than other indicators that I've tried.
    That's exactly what I use them for.
    Hope that helps,
    hNt

That's exactly what I do with those pieces of fly line.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Has anyone ever come up with an easy method of removing the core from fly line? I use pieces of orange fly line for sighters on my leader
    Here's an easier alternative for sighters ... http://www.joann.com/pepperell-s-get...FRGCMgodYlIA8A.
    Couple bucks will get a you lifetime supply and there are more and brighter color options.

In fact, if you PM me a mailing address, I'll send you some.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    Here's an easier alternative for sighters ... http://www.joann.com/pepperell-s-get...669917&CS_010=[ProductId]&gclid=CMLNrYm5tL8CFRGCMgodYlIA8A.
    Couple bucks will get a you lifetime supply and there are more and brighter color options.

In fact, if you PM me a mailing address, I'll send you some.
    Thanks, will they fit over the butt section, too?
    Last edited by lastchance; 07-08-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Thanks, will they fit over the butt section, too?
    Yes, in fact, I'd say there are a little bigger than most fly line. Probably best on the butt section and held in place via a knot. I use them on hand tied 15# to 25# Amnesia butt sections.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    Yes, in fact, I'd say there are a little bigger than most fly line. Probably best on the butt section and held in place via a knot. I use them on hand tied 15# to 25# Amnesia butt sections.
    Hi John. I went to JoAnn's and they told me they only sell that stuff online. Are tyou sure it was JoAnn's?

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post: You can find orange fluorescent soft plastic tubing at the larger craft stores. Not sure about the name of the material but it's in the lanyard material section of the store. It's the right diameter to fit over the end of fly line. Not sure about anything fine enough to fit tightly on leaders though.

It also comes in fl. Chartreuse. Again, I'm not sure of the name but I know Michael's has/had it because I bought the stuff. It may or may not be called 'spagetti'. Works pretty well too! I think the material I bought was packaged in a plastic bag. If I can find it on line, I'll post a picture of it. Can't copy picture of it but look up 'plastic hollow string'. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 07-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Hi John. I went to JoAnn's and they told me they only sell that stuff online. Are tyou sure it was JoAnn's?
    Might have been Hobby Lobby. I imagine other craft stores might have it.

If you are going for a micro-strike indicator, take the foam core from a piece of coax, it floats like a cork, shape it with your Dremel and color it with a Sharpie. I will admit I have never used one but it took about 15 minutes to make one. Everybody go a little extra coax lying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

per Hobby Lobby: "S'getti String Plastic Lacing Spool is a round, solid, plastic, craft lace that is slightly flexible .The S'gettin String is non-toxic and 1/16" in diameter" (emphasis added), so it'll be difficult to slide it over a fly line . . .

+ Reply to Thread