+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripping Bamboo question

If you do decide to do the intermediate wraps I will share a 'how to' I picked up on an other site.

Instead of doing each one as a separate wrap every 1/2", wrap then all at once using an open spiral between the 1/2" intermediate wraps. Using a fine paint brush apply spar varnish to the intermediates only. When dry you can cut the thread between and unwrap the open spiral.

I haven't tried this but it sure sounds easier than pulling 20-30 tags ends through!

Jonezee,
    Not sure how I missed this thread but glad I found it. I too agree with DLeo that you should refinish it and to add more guides to improve performance. There's a recent post referencing a guide spacing calculator if you intend to add more.
    You'll be surprised at how much enjoyment you'll get out of redoing these production rods. I've worked on 6 blue-collar rods now and 3 have been HI's (Hudson, Spinner and a 5pc no model name travel rod). I did not have the patience to redo the intermediates on my projects but I cannot really tell any difference- but then I didn't fish any of them prior to working on them either. Kengore's hint is a great idea but still a little concerned with putting a blade on the boo to cut the open spirals, hummm.
    Nevertheless, I have some fine samples of our country's fly fishing heritage and sure you will have one too soon (and yes with many more to follow). Drop a note if you have additional questions and yes post some pics. I will have a Montague Sunbeam pics posted soon as it is my current project.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thank you everyone for the tremendous advise! Your comments, suggestions and short-cuts will go along way in providing me the help I am looking for. Will post again later in the spring when the boo is fishable. Thank you all again, Jonezee

"To the fisherman born there is nothing so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod in a case"
    Roland Pertwee 'The River God" (192

+ Reply to Thread