+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

one of the secrets of getting ferrules loose is taking the temperature of the ferrule up pretty quickly and getting the ferrule off before much heat transfers to the bamboo..too much heat too long and you can blast off to the moon with the ferrule and the ferrule station of the bamboo will look like a million splinters. Always make sure there is no pin in. Pins can be found in the large section of the ferrule that slide over the hexagon bamboo, OR they can be in the slide going through the thinner portion of the bamboo....so look closely before you begin heating. Always have a ferrule puller handy so that as you get the ferrule hot enough to break the glue you can get it off the bamboo before it is damaged from the heat. You can easily make a ferrule puller from an old section of 2x4....

last, when you start to pull the ferrule off...make sure that you pull straight or you will break the boo...then its boo hoo hoo...

have fun

The steelwool is fine just don't use a metal scraper to knock off the stripper residue. Use a credit card that you're thinking about cutting up as a scraper (this will also keep you from buying many other bamboo rods )
    Vicarious rod rebuilder,
    Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Boo hoo hoo... LOL
    Man we all need to be on the water!
    Good thing Rookie's here to keep us
    going.
    Thanks Rookie.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I'm sorry guys. This is the first nice day we have had too and I should be on the water but I am babysitting a whole bunch of grandchildren and was looking for company. You guys were great to stick around a babysit an "Old Guy".

Thanks for the info on the stripping process.
    Steve

careful there.... I got 5 grandchildren, 3 of which own their own bamboo fly rods, 2 of which use them and the third is too busy chasin' skirts!!!

+ Reply to Thread